Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3750/CBS3110 Temperature

aboelhouwers
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

When I issue a "show env temp status" command on mentioned catalyst I get the following output respectivily for a 3750 and a cbs 3110

3750#sh env temp status
Temperature Value: 39 Degree Celsius
Temperature State: GREEN
Yellow Threshold : 49 Degree Celsius
Red Threshold    : 59 Degree Celsius

3110#sh env temperature STAtus
Temperature Value: 44 Degree Celsius
Temperature State: GREEN
Yellow Threshold : 80 Degree Celsius
Red Threshold    : 90 Degree Celsius

From the equipment specifications I can conclude that the switches are still in on the "safe" side . But what happens when the switches pass the maximal operational temperature of 45 degrees Celsius. Will they stop working or will it fail when the switches pass the Red Threshold.

Can somebody explain.

Kind regards

Aad

4 Replies 4

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

Yellow means: The temperature is in the warning range. You should check the external temperature around the switch.

Red means: he temperature is in the critical range. The switch might not run properly if the temperature is in this range.

See Table 2-30 at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_55_se/commmand/reference/cli2.html#wp1940150

HTH,

Milan

Hi Milan,

Thanks for your answer, but I still don't understand why a build-in switch (cbs3110) can handle a temperature of 80 degrees Celsius before a yellow threshold alarm is given, compared to a 3750 which will send an alarm when it reaches 49 degrees.

But if you read the specifications of both switches you see that the operatonal temperature is max 45 degrees. Is an alarm generated then?

For your information I got a alarm in a monitoring system (Zenoss) form the cbs3110, while the temperature was 44 degrees. Can you explain this?

Thanks anyway

Hi,

it's possible somebody had configured the yellow threshold on your 3750 switch?

According to the Command Reference (see the system env temperature threshold yellow command reference) at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_55_se/commmand/reference/cli3.html#wp3554701

or http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_55_se/commmand/reference/cli3.pdf

the yellow threshold should be 10 Celsius degrees below the red threshold by default, configurable up to 25 Celsius degrees below the red threshold.

While the red threshold is not configurable.

HTH,

Milan

but I still don't understand why a build-in switch (cbs3110) can handle a temperature of 80 degrees Celsius before a yellow threshold alarm is given,

Because the CBS3110 "lives" inside an enclosure and G0d-knows how hot it can be in there (it should be >50 degress probably) and this is why it can tolerate more.  Correct me if I'm wrong but the CBS3110 doesn't have a fan either right?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: