Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Catalyst 6500 boot problem

Hello again guys I have an issue that I need help solving.......

I have 2 Catalyst 6500 that I am completely new to them, the problem I'm having is the device boots into rommon> 

When I do I dir bootflash: I get a no device error

I also tried dir sup-bootflash: dir sup-bootdisk: dir disk0: and dir disk1: all unsuccessful as if the device has no memory at all. 

So I removed the SUP 720-3B and confirm that it has some memory modules in there but no flash memory card....so I took the flash memory card out of my 2691 router and inserted it in the device just to see what will happen when I entered the above commands and still nothing. 

so obviously I know that I don't have an IOS on the flash drive I placed in there so here goes my first question.....Which ios shold I be downloading for this device? just to get it started.

Next question what should the memory configuration be on the device I have 2 SUP 720 in slots 5 and 6 one has memory modules on the PCB itself and the other has a combination of memory modules and a slot for a flash memory on the PCB itself. 

Both modules has flash memory slots on the front labeled disk0: and disk1: but they are empty should those also be pupulated in order for this device to boot up?

So as I can see I need a lot of guidance on this, it is completely out of my comfort zone. 

Thanks in advance 

Everyone's tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Beginner

Re: Catalyst 6500 boot problem

Ok guys thanks for all the help and suggestions.....

Here is what I did

We have a few old SUP720's at work that I was able to get the Flash memory from and use in my devices. This allowed me to boot the engine and copy the image ver since my device did not have one. 

So as of now the device boots fine but I still have one issue with the fan, apparently its the wrong fan for the job. Now I need to figure out which is the right one. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi there!

One of the known solutions is to have a copy of the image in a disk, then follow the recovery procedure found on this link.
Without a disk with the IOS it would be practically impossible.
Boot the switch from the ROMmon mode with the help of the image that is available in disk0.

Issue this command:

rommon 2 >boot disk0:s72033-psv-mz.122-18.SXD7.bin
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6000-series-switches/17050-14.html#Sup720

Any IOS Valid Version would be valid, preferably in the 122-xxx version which only will required default dram/flash.

Regards,

Ben
Highlighted
Beginner

So you're suggesting I disregard the internal memory (the onces that are physically on the PCB) and put the image on the removable flash memory inserted in the slots on the front of the module. If that is correct I'll try that but I'm not certain which image/ios I should be downloading as I tried on last night and it didn't work it said something along the lines of no supervisor ingine inserted in slot 

Highlighted
Beginner

Hello again!

At this point in time what you are trying to do is get the supervisor up and running from disk0: with the SUP720 IOS.

You need to get a DISK formatted on another SUP720 and with the Image in it. That is the way I always have done it.

Or it may not recognise the DISK installed.

If you can get a copy of the IOS installed in the disk, that s the way to go. Any other possible ways would harder.

regards,

Ben

Highlighted
Beginner

Ok guys thanks for all the help and suggestions.....

Here is what I did

We have a few old SUP720's at work that I was able to get the Flash memory from and use in my devices. This allowed me to boot the engine and copy the image ver since my device did not have one. 

So as of now the device boots fine but I still have one issue with the fan, apparently its the wrong fan for the job. Now I need to figure out which is the right one. 

View solution in original post