cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CDP not showing a connected swtich.

Sean Graham
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 6509 and a 3750 that do no see each other through CDP. The 6509 has other switches connected to is and it sees them just fine. CDP is enabled on both.

How do I get them to see each other through CDP and could this cause a problem if they don't know the connection is a switch? The link is trunked.

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sean

If CDP is enabled on both ports and if both switches do not see the other as a CDP neighbor then I believev that it may indicate that there is some layer 2 issue in the connection of these ports. If there is a layer 2 issue then not seeing each other as neighbors would probably mean that there was a problem and other kinds of data might not be able to be forwarded over this connection.

As a starting point could you post the output of show port of both switches. It might also be helpful if you would post the configuration of both ports.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

I had some similar problem with CDP on 650x and trunk links. Mainly the problem is related to CDP that communicates only using VLAN 1, so if the VLAN 1 is removed form the trunk the CDP works oddly.

I didn't have any experience between 650x and 3750, but between 6506 and 7200 router, the CDP neighbor command show a correct result, except the 6506 IP address that is 127.0.0.12, the SPV internal loopback address.

The only workaround is to enable VLAN 1 on trunk.

If you cannot do it due to spanning tree issues, you must substitute the use of VLAN 1 with another VLAN, but is a hard job.

HTH

Paolo.

Sean Graham
Level 1
Level 1

Well, after looking at the config further, it would help if CDP was actually enable on the ports on card 9 on the 6509. It is now working.

Thanks for the help...

Sean

Thanks for posting back to the forum indicating that the problem was fixed and what the solution was. It makes the forum more useful when we can read about a problem and see what solved the problem.

I also believe that your posting contains a useful lesson for us about troubleshooting: always go back and check assumptions about whether things are really correctly configured or not.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick