cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cdpCacheLastChange not a valid oid...

jscofield
Level 1
Level 1

I'm currently writing a program that extracts cdp information from devices. However, the cdpCacheLastChange does not provide any information. Actually, all the cdpCacheEntry items above cdpCacheDuplex seem to only exist in the mib, but the devices don't recognize the requests.

Any insight on this?

Thanks,

Jim

3 Replies 3

krozier
Level 1
Level 1

Jim,

It is quite possible that the device does not support those OID entries in the MIB. I have found on more than several occasion that even when Cisco mentions that the MIB supported on that device it is not necessarily in its entirety. Example, C3750 supports the Cisco-ENVMON MIB. I can query for ciscoEnvMonEnableTemperatureNotification, but I am unable to query for ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusValue (C6513 w/MFC does return that OID). I can tell you that the C3750 does not support cdpCacheEntry and cdpCacheDuplex those entries.

Questions and Comments are welcomed!

Hope this helps!

Kersean Rozier

I had considered that option. However, I've tried it on a variety of equipment (3725, 3750, 3550, 1760, 2651, 2950, aironet, etc...). The L3 switches are the only ones that even pretend to work - they just return 0 for all interfaces. The rest come back unsupported. These devices have recent enough software that I would expect an OID like this to be valid, if it is even in the IOS.

Interestingly, my 3750 does give values for the cdpCacheDuplex.

I guess the bigger question would be how to get Cisco to address these issues. I'm encountering other SNMP limitiations as well - no mibs for EIGRP. Anyone know how to present these issues to Cisco engineers. I would expect opening a TAC case wouldn't get the expected results.

Thanks,

Jim

Actually, I think that I might have given you the wrong answer before. I was looking at Solarwind's MIB walker and did not see the OID for cdpCacheDuplex on the list so I assume that it was not supported. After reading your email, I have discovered that it is supported using SolarWinds MIB Browser(cdpCacheLastChange is still not supported). My apologies. I am now curious why it did not show up MIB Walker.

To answer your last question, you will need to ask your Cisco Channel Account manager to make a request for the features you are looking for. That is how Cisco determines priorities.I have been wanting to get EIGRP-MIB also, I guess if we can get everyone who reads the forum to make the request, the feature will come sooner rather than later. (Note: I am going to bring up with mine)

Hope this helps!

Kersean Rozier