Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1941 VRF-lite limit

martin.lundvall
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

How many VRFs can one configure on the Cisco 1941 router? I dont seem to find this answer anywhere and if I recall the limit on the 1800 is something like 30.

// Martin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Raphael Wouters
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Martin,

I'm not aware of a limit for the number of VRF you can configure on the ISRG2. There are hardware limitation on hardware platform such as some switches that have a maximum amount of routing tables that can be programmed, but the 1941 is a software platform and IOS doesn't seem to have such a limit.

Maybe you are refering to the maximum number of routing process that can run on a router, which is 30, see "show ip protocols summary" you will have one for connected, one for static and then one per routing protocol up to a total of 32. It seems that this limit still exists on the ISRG2.

On a side note, you also have a limit of interfaces you can have on a router, each interfaces will consume an IDB and this number is limited but should be enough in most cases, see "show idb" I see a maximum of 1200 on the 1941. Those are the two limit I can see when talking about VRF.

Thanks,

Raphael

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Raphael Wouters
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Martin,

I'm not aware of a limit for the number of VRF you can configure on the ISRG2. There are hardware limitation on hardware platform such as some switches that have a maximum amount of routing tables that can be programmed, but the 1941 is a software platform and IOS doesn't seem to have such a limit.

Maybe you are refering to the maximum number of routing process that can run on a router, which is 30, see "show ip protocols summary" you will have one for connected, one for static and then one per routing protocol up to a total of 32. It seems that this limit still exists on the ISRG2.

On a side note, you also have a limit of interfaces you can have on a router, each interfaces will consume an IDB and this number is limited but should be enough in most cases, see "show idb" I see a maximum of 1200 on the 1941. Those are the two limit I can see when talking about VRF.

Thanks,

Raphael

Hi all,

Which IOS software supports VRF future on 1941 router platform?

Thanks.

The 1941 is an ISR G2 router based on Feature License, not IOS images.. You can use the feature navigator to see which features are in the respective licenses.

Thanks a lot Paolo.