cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2650 Help1

romeoalvarez
Level 1
Level 1

I have an Actiontec DSL gateway and a Cisco 2650 router on my network. The DSL gateway is 192.168.1.200, the Cisco is 192.168.1.170. When i go to configure my LAN setting on my computer i used to be able to use my Cisco IP as the default gateway address, but this new DSL gateway requiers that i use it's IP. Is there any way to use the Cisco IP as the default gateway in the LAN setting and have the cisco somehow forward that IP address or translate that into the DSL gateway IP? I need to use the cisco IP in order to stay connected to my network. What would the configurations look like in my router? Any help!

13 Replies 13

a.awan
Level 4
Level 4

Does the 2650 have a default route (ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0) configured right now? If not then i think all you need is to issue the following command on your 2650:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.200

Clients can be configured with the 2650 as the default gateway and if the 2650 gets traffic from the client destined to the internet it will just forward it to the DSL gateway and possible issue an icmp redirect back to the client to use the DSL directly for that particular destination in the future.

Thanks for the reply,

That doesn't work, i mean sometimes it does but only for a few seconds then it's gone, i can't get a constant connection to the internet. it wants to work but it won't stay connected. Any other suggestions? The router IP is 192.168.1.170, if i put in

ip route 192.168.1.170 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.200

will this cause any problems? i would try but i'm not very good with cisco and i don't want to take the chance unless you say otherwise.

I do not understand your statement 'It wants to work but it wont stay connected'. What exactly is the problem you are facing when you configure the default route i posted earlier?

You want to put in 'ip route 192.168.1.170 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.200' on the router whose own ip address is 192.168.1.170? This will not do anything for you.

Unless there is something i do not understand about your setup the previous solution of entering 'ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.200' on your 2650 is the way to go. I can suggest turning off icmp redirects on the 2650 just to check if they are somehow causing the problems you are having. Try putting this command on the 2650:

int fastethernet 0/0 (just replace fastethernet 0/0 with the appropriate LAN interface on your 2650)

no ip redirects

what i mean is that the computer will load the first three pages of a website then i lose internet connection, then it'll take about 10-15 min. before it reconnects to the internet, and again it'll load the first 2 or 3 pages of a website before losing connection. Is there a way i could post the exact configurations of my routers so that you can see them and make the nesscary suggestions?

Here is some more info. about my situation. I have 2 offices connected by a T-1 line. One office is unable to receive internet service, so i set up a NAT from one office to the other to allow for internet service to reach the non-internet office. The systems works great, Road Runner ISP provides service to both offices through the NAT. This week QWest DSL is able to provide the non-internet office with DSL Service. I was told i could enable "multihoming" to have 2 ISPs. Both the Road Runner connection and the DSL terminate at their respective gateway appliances and not at my routers. this is why i need to have my cisco IP forwarded to the gateway at 192.168.1.200. Can you tell me what i would need to do to enable this with my current situation. will i have to reconfigure my routers, 2650 series?

Can you draw a visio of how your setup looks like and post it here? You can also save your router configuration files as text files and upload them here so we can take a look at them and take it from there.

Attached is my network setup, initially the sunland park office was feeding internet service to the anthony office through a NAT setup, because anthony office had no ISP's in the area. QWest DSL is now providing internet service to the anthony office, so i wanted to set up a "multihoming with autoroute injection" setup to have a backup systems in case one ISP goes down. The NAT was also setup so that the remote site,Sunland Park,could get files and folder from our servers which are here at the main site,Anthony.

The IPs from Road Runner and Qwest are dynamic so i've been using 0.0.0.0, just to let you know.

More .txt files

I have also tried using this white paper and the configs. on pages 11,12,13

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/iosw/ioft/ionetn/tech/emios_wp.htm

funny thing, i put in:

ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.0.0 192.168.1.200

and it only works on google.com, sometimes msn.com any other site it says page can not be displayed. I can do a search just fine but when i click on the link to McAfee.com from the results page i get the page can not be displayed message. I can view the web, images, froogle links fine but nothing else. ?????

After i entered:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.200

and

ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.0.0 192.168.1.200

above the command completed line it said "%Inconsistant address and mask"

Does anyone have any suggestions with this problem. If you need more info let me know.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: