cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2851 vs 2951

Boris Krajnc
Level 1
Level 1

Can anybody suggest how to find major performance difference between this two routers ? I have small network with 150 users (NAT, DHCP,  few access lists, 2/2MB traffic per user, 40MB peak traffic, static routes  ....nothing special)  and Cisco 2851 works with max 80% CPU utilization. Regarding to the customer will increase teh number of users to around 700 I would like to know if Cisco 2951 will be enough?

Thank you for any advice or suggestion.

Boris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If your routing is only to/from your WAN link, you really only need to size the router to deal with the WAN link (as this normally is the principal bottleneck).

If your routing is also within the LAN (i.e. between LAN subnets), then you might want to consider also using a L3 switch.

PS:

The 2851 is rated at 220 Kpps, the 2951 is rated at 579 Kpps.

I've attached a Cisco whitepaper for latest ISR performance.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is a big performance difference and you search the forum you will find many threads and documents.

You can also consider a 2921 or 2911.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If your routing is only to/from your WAN link, you really only need to size the router to deal with the WAN link (as this normally is the principal bottleneck).

If your routing is also within the LAN (i.e. between LAN subnets), then you might want to consider also using a L3 switch.

PS:

The 2851 is rated at 220 Kpps, the 2951 is rated at 579 Kpps.

I've attached a Cisco whitepaper for latest ISR performance.

First of all Happy new year and thank you for your explanations. There is no special routing between subnets in LAN. I think 2951 should be good decission.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: