Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2948G-GE-TX lost packet

Jeremy_Gillet
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We recently change our Switch to a 1Gb/s Cisco Switch and eveything seem to be fine until my user start crying at me saying they could not access their email anymore, I'm not sure it's the switch or the computer but my first guess would be the Switch.

Let explain in detail and the test i have done

My network is composed of 1 48port Switch where i connect all my client computer and server on it. 1 router for our WAN and one switch/router for the Local ISP

All my computer and server are updated to the last Ms patch

The problem in detail and some exemple:

First Exemple:

If i lose the connection to the Mail (software) server i also cannot ping the IP addresse of the server, witch i think indicate that there is no problem whith the Software itself.

In the same time an other computer can still ping and access the Mail server and his Mail.

Second Exemple:

Now i got this problem i tried to move it on the other port of the same switch with no better result so i move it on the Switch router and i see an improvement. but still i lost connectivity to the Server time to time.

while i was able to ping the switch router itsel

Exemple 3:

to try to locate what happen when i lose the server i initiate a ping from my computer to the server and to the switch (ping -t) and see what happen when i lose the connection, i have also initiate a ping from the mail server to the switch and to the File server.

The result of this is i never lost packet even when other user report problem to me and the server itself never lost any packet.

we have a small network with not so many load between the server and the client

The configuration of the switch hasn't been changed and only one vlan is enable for the switch

if anyone have any idee (is it from the switch, the computer itself)

Thanks for your help

Best Regards,

Jeremy Gillet

22 Replies 22

To check if this is a crosstalk issue due to too many cables in the wiring closet, keep only the server and one client plugged into the switch physically and then run a heavy file transfer.

You might consider doing doing this at an off peak period.

HTH

Arvind

it will happen in one or two hours then i'll be able to test again without to many user on the link,

I have tested to conenct the server and one client computer directly to the switch and send 2 big package on it, i still have error (FCS & RCV)

i have removed all the client except of 2 computer and connect the servers directly to the Switch.

The client i've done the test with is also direclty connected to the switch.

It's not realy better please see the attached file to see the error counter and i've made a clear counter on both port before transmitting 2 big file to the File Server and then i have done the same with the mail server.

Best Regards,

Jeremy

Port Error Mail Server

Port Align-Err FCS-Err Xmit-Err Rcv-Err UnderSize

----- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------

2/41 - 13 0 182395 0

Port Single-Col Multi-Coll Late-Coll Excess-Col Carri-Sen Runts Giants

----- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- --------- --------- ---------

2/41 0 0 0 0 0 182382 0

Jeremy_Gillet
Level 1
Level 1

Ok last test for tonight wich did work this time :) same configuration on the switch as in my last post 100 full duplex, but this time i change from auto on the client and the server to 100 full duplex also.

Why, because while i was idling around trying to gess an answer i see on my client that the configured port while on auto was 100 half duplex which for me is weird since i specify on the switch full, well anyway i change everyone to full duplex 100 and it work, fucking no error anywhere -.-; do i have to change this on all client computer by hand T.T;

Hope i'm write i'll see tomorow how it's is working with everyone up.

No more error but still the same problem, temporary(1-2min avg) lost of connection with client computer.

Best Regards,

Jeremy Gillet

I know it might sound very difficult but could you capture a show interface on an affected port when the workstation loses connectivity?

Also, now that there are no errors (hopefully) I think you may have successfuly proved that the existing cabling infrastructure is not adequate to support gig ethernet. Might wanna consider overhauling the cabling for atleast those clients that need the speed (one computer at a time! :) )

Did you get an explanation for why the sheilding had to be removed?

HTH

Please rate posts that help

Regards

Arvind

First i would like to remind you that the switch was not showing any error before we changed it from auto to manual and i beleive it was more a duplexing error (wich i'm not experienced enought to know why) and it didn't show any error after i modify the client duplexing from half to full...

I start to think that it might be the server MotherBoard which is faulty and not the switch and will resume it's 1Gb operation in a few days if i don't find any solution (i still have to do the backup of the perssonal files and now it's quite a pain) the file server is not showing the same problem but he is not continuously acceced by the client, the email is some kind of imap (lotus notes) and so every action is done on the server.

About the cabling i done it 2 days ago so now it should not be a problem anymore all the plug are connected whith a full shielded cable up to it's own socket.

Thanks for your help

Best Regards,

Jeremy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco