cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3560X Switch deployment scenario

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

Since these switches don't really have a large buffer size and they do have issues with jumbo frames.  Can any one share their experience with these switches?  We are looking to go with top of the rack model in the data center and even though we do not have jumbo frames enabled within our network for now I'm just concerned with the buffer size limits on these switches.  Any feed back, notions will be greatly appreciated. 

8 Replies 8

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

This model is probably not the best choice for a top-of-rack switch.

I would rather consider the 4900 series for this type of application.

Regards,

Leo

We do have some 4948's that we are thinking we can use in the racks where we have to enable/utilize jumbo frames.  Only thing with 4948's other than the cost is the switching fabric is 96Gbps vs 160Gbps and 4948 if you use the uplink ports you lose the last 4 ports.

So if the jumbo frames is not enabled what would be a solid reason not to use them as top of the rack solution in the DC?

4948 series also supports dual power supplies.

4948 series also supports dual power supplies.

3560X can also support dual power supply and stacked power supply.

Thank you all for the replies.  Just one correction 3560X supports dual power supplies however it does not support stacking, 3750X supports stacking that is the only difference between 3560X and 3750X.

Any ways 4948 I just don't like the fact that out of 52, only 48 ports can be active at any given time.  3560X and 3750X their buffer sizes are 768 ingress for 12 ports shared and 2MB egress 24 ports shared.  That is pretty low.  Any ways after some further research I'm more leaning towards 4948E/E-F.  They seem to be a much better fit and with 48 ports instead of going 2 per rack we can probably do 2 per two racks because with 3560X's we were going to use the 24 port models. 

4948E/E-F's have nice switching fabric and if I am not mistaken forwarding rate is 131mpps.

Thank you all for the replies.  Just one correction 3560X supports dual power supplies however it does not support stacking, 3750X supports stacking that is the only difference between 3560X and 3750X.

I didn't say 3560X support stacking.  I said 3560X support POWER stacking.

3560X do not support Power Stacking, only 3750X support Stacking and Power Stacking:

Cisco Catalyst 3750-X and 3560-X Series primary features:

● 24 and 48 10/100/1000 PoE+, non-PoE models, and 12 and 24 GE SFP port models

● Four optional uplink network modules with GE or 10GE ports

● Industry first PoE+ with 30W power on all ports in 1 rack unit (RU) form factor

● Dual redundant, modular power supplies and fans

● Media Access Control Security (MACsec) hardware-based encryption

● Flexible NetFlow and switch-to-switch hardware encryption with the uplink Service Module

● Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) for routed access in IP Base image

● IPv4 and IPv6 routing, Multicast routing, advanced quality of service (QoS), and security features in

hardware

● Enhanced limited lifetime warranty (LLW) with next business day (NBD) advance hardware replacement

and 90 day access to Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) support

● Enhanced Cisco EnergyWise for operational cost optimization by measuring actual power consumption of

the PoE devices, reporting, and reducing energy consumption across the network

● USB Type-A and Type-B ports for storage and console respectively and an out-of-band Ethernet

management port

In addition to the above features, the Cisco Catalyst 3750-X switches also offer:

● Cisco StackPower™ technology: An innovative feature and industry first for sharing power among stack

members

● Cisco StackWise Plus technology for ease of use and resiliency with 64 Gbps of throughput

● Investment protection with backward compatibility with all other models of Cisco Catalyst 3750 Series

Switches*

Yup.  You're right.  3560X won't support StackPower.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: