Helpful
Replies

Cisco AP 2702 with Wireless controller

jeiveecee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Please help me.

I have a WLC 2504. I have a number of 2702 APs. I understand that AP needs to communicate to WLC and downloads its configuration.

Question, what if I dont have a DHCP server (i know its easy to deploy that, but for the sake of discussion...)?

Can I static the IP address on the AP and hardcode the IP of the controller inside it?

If yes, can you show me how? I can't find config guide online.

Regards,

JOHN

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can assign a static IP address to the AP as long as you are able to console into the AP.  The commands are:

config capwap ap ip address IP_address Subnet_mask

config capwap ap controller ip address <WLC Management IP address>

nshukri
Level 1
Level 1

Indeed you can add static IP to the AP and enter the controller IP address but the only problem is that you need console for each AP.

The commands are:

debug capwap console cli

capwap ap ip address <IP for the AP> <subnet>

capwap ap degault-gateway <GW-IP>

capwap ap controller ip address <The WLC IP address>

For the guide, this is a good one to keep as a refernce:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-1200-series/99763-reset-lwappconfig-lap.html#backinfo

Also, you can use the interal DHCP in the controller itself if you dont want to have external DHCP for the access points.

And this is one good guide for this:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-4/configuration/guides/consolidated/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED_chapter_01001001.html

Also, you can use the interal DHCP in the controller itself if you dont want to have external DHCP for the access points.

ROFL!

This method WILL NOT WORK.   You cannot use the WLC to be the DHCP server for AP.  

The internal server provides DHCP addresses to wireless clients, direct-connect access points, and DHCP requests that are relayed from access points. Only lightweight access points are supported

Care to explain where you can enter Option 43 VCI info if you are using a WLC as a DHCP server?

Leo, when you use the management VLAN you dont need option 43.

I made this small lab to share the output with you:

From the switch:

- create access vlan (using the management VLAN) 

From the WLC:

- create internal DHCP scope for the management VLAN

- For the management interface, set proxy to enable and put its own IP as the DHCP server (like you do for other VLANs using internal DHCP)

Connect the AP to the port and it will get IP address from the WLC itself and join!

I am attaching a picture showing how the AP has joined from the controller GUI and full console for the AP while booting up and joining the WLC successfully.

Thanks for taking the time to lab this.  A few questions (I'm still hesitant about the logic behind this): 

1.  Your AP is already "pre-configured" to the WLC.  It's already been primed.  Can you post the console output when you've cleared the config of the AP?  DHCP Option 43 helps the AP discover the WLC.  

2.  You've put the AP and the WLC in the same subnet.  Does this work when you've got the AP in a different subnet?

Leo, you are welcome

Please find the answers below

1.  I reset the AP to factory default and connect it to the access port again , this is part of the console  (full console attached)

Initializing ethernet port 0...

Reset ethernet port 0...

Reset done!

ethernet link up, 100 mbps, full-duplex

Ethernet port 0 initialized: link is up

button is pressed, wait for button to be released...

button pressed for 35 seconds

process_config_recovery: set IP address and config to default 10.0.0.1

process_config_recovery: image recovery

*May 31 17:44:05.383: %DHCP-6-ADDRESS_ASSIGN: Interface BVI1 assigned DHCP address 192.168.5.10, mask 255.255.255.0, hostname AP001d.a1fc.8124

*May 31 17:44:15.988: Logging LWAPP message to 255.255.255.255.

*Aug 27 09:27:20.443: %CAPWAP-5-SENDJOIN: sending Join Request to 192.168.5.3

AP001d.a1fc.8124#show capwap client rcb

AdminState                  :  ADMIN_ENABLED
SwVer                       :  7.6.120.0
NumFilledSlots              :  2
Name                        :  AP001d.a1fc.8124
Location                    :  default location
MwarName                    :  Cisco_a5:a1:84
MwarApMgrIp                 :  192.168.5.3

2. No, it has to be in the management VLAN .. if its different VLAN the AP will not obtain ip address .. the messages will be something like this

*May 31 17:55:28.589: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Not sending discovery request AP does not have an Ip !!

-> For different VLAN you can't use the internal DHCP to get IP address .. still the AP can learn about the WLC with other options than DHCP 43

(these logs when I used DHCP in the L3 switch)

*May 31 17:44:05.383: %DHCP-6-ADDRESS_ASSIGN: Interface BVI1 assigned DHCP address 192.168.5.10, mask 255.255.255.0, hostname AP001d.a1fc.8124

*May 31 17:44:27.037: %CAPWAP-5-DHCP_OPTION_43: Controller address 192.168.3.2 obtained through DHCP

*Aug 19 17:04:44.001: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Go join a capwap controller

1.  I reset the AP to factory default and connect it to the access port again , this is part of the console  (full console attached)

You are correct, the AP has an IP address.  But, if I open the console.txt there is a line that states that the AP has joined the controller.

*Aug 26 17:17:08.502: %CAPWAP-5-JOINEDCONTROLLER: AP has joined controller Cisco_a5:a1:84

But when you clear the config of the AP (as seen in the attachment nour-reset.txt), I can see the AP get an IP address but it does NOT join the controller.

2. No, it has to be in the management VLAN .. if its different VLAN the AP will not obtain ip address .. the messages will be something like this

That's the point of this mechanism.  You need Option 43 because it was meant exactly for what it was developed for.  Option 43 specifically tells the AP to go and look for the WLC.  It specifies the exact IP address.  Option 43 minimized the need for the AP to broadcast out "are you there" to the WLC constantly.  

Leo,

For the console, its my bad I thought the AP was done and removed the console then I reconnect to show the AP has joined using show capwap client rcb (so I missed few lines, but hope the last command make it clear) .. sadly I didn't take print screen from the WLC like the other day

For option 43,  the AP can survive without it if using the management VLAN

I will try to provide another console for the AP during the next week :)

You don't have to use DHCP Option 43 even when not in the Management VLAN. You can also use the DNS name option, you just need to point the DNS Name: CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER  to the IP address of the controller. This is how we currently do it for over 2500 LWAPs with no issues.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco