Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco.com API to look up device info

6rmisior
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is there any tool on cisco.com hopefully an API that can be used to look up information about a device based on a serial number?

I'm working on a inventory management system and I have serial numbers of the Cisco devices. I would like to integrate our service with cisco.com and be able to pull any information about the device that Cisco knows.

So far the only tool I found is this: http://tools.cisco.com/scc/

Is that the only thing available?

Thanks for any help!

Robert

3 Replies 3

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't know of any tools other than what you gave.  What kind of information are you trying to

collect?  Wouldn't it be easier and much more reliable to get it from the device itself?

Hi,

I would be interested in the following information:

1) Validate the serial number to make sure it exists  (what we have is a correct value).

2) Validate the device type associated with the serial number.

3) Find out if the device is currently covered under existing contract number / validate the contract number.

4) (would be nice to have) Validate the address /location of the device if it is covered under a contract. (specially for the 4 hour response time)

Robert

I see.  I looked and asked around and am pretty sure that there's no better way to do what you want than the tool you already had the link for.

If more people respond to this thread that a non-web-page tool would help them, then maybe we can look into providing one.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: