Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco EnergyWise and CIsco Builing Mediator are independent solution

Hello to everyone,

the purpose of this post is to better understand cisco EnergyWise solution and the Cisco building Mediator. Please keep in mind, I am just studying this solution so please be patient with me.

The big question is:  Cisco Building Mediator(CBM) is totally o partially independent from Cisco EnergyWise technology?

I beak this question in two:

1. Do you need a cisco network with energywise enabled to use Cisco Building Mediator? (Actually I don't think so, but please confirm that).

2. About the relationship between the CBM and energywise orchestrator(CEWO), is there any limitation using Cisco Building Mediator without CEWO ? Or there is any advantage if I integrate CBM with CEWO?
What I like to know is if the CBM is totally independent solution, or cisco leads you to use it within cisco energywise solution by limiting CBM when you use it alone? For example reading documentation from CBM I see you can schedule tasks using your browser, but I couldn't find if you can coordinate event together to program an action, whereas with CEWO I think you can do that. This means you I have to integrate CBM with CEWO to have this feature?

Thank you in advance. Any help or comment will be appreciate.
Greetings.
Antonello.

2 Replies 2

Phillip Remaker
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco Building Mediator (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10454/index.html) is the hardware product derived from the Richards-Zeta acquisition, which is a part of the overall Energywise solution.

CEWO is the overarching control software (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps10195/data_sheet_c78-577722.html) that Cisco provides that can control the Building Mediator, but it is not required to use the mediator.

Does this FAQ help: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps10195/qa_c67-557266.html

Emmanuel Tychon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Anonello --

My name is Emmanuel Tychon and I'm the Technical Marketing Engineer for EnergyWise. I understand that the Mediator and EnergyWise interractions might be a little unclear, so let me help you...

1) At this point, Mediator can query the EnergyWise information (summarized) and it can be used in the Mediator Management application, not Orchestrator. EnergyWise endpoint cannot be seen individually, neither be controled with this solution.

2) Orchestrator allows the control and measure in a granual way of EnergyWise domains. Orchestrator is not able to communicate with the Meditator directly.

3) Mediator is not part of EnergyWise, nor vice versa. These are two separate products.

4) Going forward, we would like Mediator to be able to tap into EnergyWise's full potential, and EnergyWise to be able to monitor and control building facilities through Mediator. However, this is highly speculative at this point and decisions have not been taken yet.

Hope this helps,

Emmanuel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: