Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPC to Arista MLAG

SupportUser9359
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I need some  advice please on the correct way to route between a Cisco VPC and a Arista MLAG.

For example I currently have ports 48 on two Cisco Nexus 3548 (cores) in a Port Channel and using Interface VLAN 100 with an Virtual IP of 10.100.10.1 ( using 10.100.10.2/24 and 10.100.10.3/24 ) on the two cores.

I have the keep alive link set, and the peer link is a 40gbps bond using ports 1 -4 on each core.

Similarly on the Aristas, I use 1 interface on each Arista in a port Channel with MLAG id of 48, 

So if you can picture this, I have port 48 on Cisco Core A going to port 48 on Arista Core A, and I have port 48 on Cisco core B going to port 48 on Arista Core B.

On the Aristas I also have a 40 Gbps peer link.

On the Aristas I have several other port channels going to storage and a VM cluster. Those are all configured with lacp and linked to both Aristas. So I have a Virtual IP of 10.200.10.1 on the Arista side ( using .2 and .3 /24 ) on two interfaces.

On the Ciscos I have several other port channels - and I have several access layer switches connected ( they are using a port channel ) and they connect to each Cisco Core.

I have tested fail over - I can switch off either one of the 4 core routers and traffic still flows from clients on the access layer switches connected to the Nexus Cores - through to the Storage connected to the Arista Cores.

I have a static route on the Cisco that uses the Virtual IP of the Arista ( 10.200.10.1 )as its destination and I have a static route on the Aristas that use the IP 10.100.10.1 as the destination for vlans / subnets on the Ciscos.

I have maybe about 15 vlans on the Cisco's, and maybe about 5 on the Aristas.

All routing works... but I want to know if this is the standard way of routing between the cores.

I didnt want to use L2 between the Cisco VPC domain and the Arista MLAG setup. I wanted to add port security to the interfaces between the two pairs because I am running dark fibre between them. They are about 10km apart.

Any comments are welcomed.

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: