cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Client straight through a router with no switch able to be on VLAN10, somehow?

LateLearn
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings! This is a revision of a previous question.

Is there a way to use sub interfaces on the routers to somehow "trick" the switch into considering the host/ client ( at 192.168.0.1  / PC11) as a member of VLAN 10?

topology.PNG

Just asking the weird question as I go through the study program I found on YouTube.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Yes, although it's not a "trick". Router (Ethernet) subinterfaces can have VLAN tags. I.e. a main router (Ethernet) interface processes frames much as a switch trunk port would.

View solution in original post

Oops, I need to correct myself after reading your follow on question and your rereading your original question.

A router can have subinterfaces to allow that physical interface to act somewhat like a trunk. Unfortunately, one major difference between a router interface and a switch trunk interface, the switch allows multiple interfaces in the same VLAN while (normally) a router does not.

What I now think your original question was really asking was for a router to operate like a bridge (switch). To this question, some can, although I don't recall if they can support multiple VLAN using subinterfaces or can, while bridging a pair of router ports, support VLAN tagging.

It's been a long time since I've needed to bridge through a router. One of the past terms for this feature was IRB. You might read up on that. Hopefully, someone else, more current on this kind of technology will post a response too.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Yes, although it's not a "trick". Router (Ethernet) subinterfaces can have VLAN tags. I.e. a main router (Ethernet) interface processes frames much as a switch trunk port would.

so my host/client at the top-right only needs to connect to the router it's connected to via crossover? I just have to create a subinterface and make the Default-gateway of the host/client the ip of whatever I assign to the sub-interface and it will act naturally the same?

Oops, I need to correct myself after reading your follow on question and your rereading your original question.

A router can have subinterfaces to allow that physical interface to act somewhat like a trunk. Unfortunately, one major difference between a router interface and a switch trunk interface, the switch allows multiple interfaces in the same VLAN while (normally) a router does not.

What I now think your original question was really asking was for a router to operate like a bridge (switch). To this question, some can, although I don't recall if they can support multiple VLAN using subinterfaces or can, while bridging a pair of router ports, support VLAN tagging.

It's been a long time since I've needed to bridge through a router. One of the past terms for this feature was IRB. You might read up on that. Hopefully, someone else, more current on this kind of technology will post a response too.

IRB.. gotchya I will look into that but yes that paraphrasing is exact to my intentions! Thank you guys for being as potent as you are! Really have been amazed by this "forum".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: