Views
Helpful
Replies

Cluster Catalyst 3850 with 2960

Meri Christmas
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day All

I am fairly new to networking. I have a question about clustering.

We have two different catalyst switch models: C2960X and C3850. We currently are using both in one of our offices on different floors i.e. 3850 is our core on one floor with a fiber connection to a stack of 2960's on another floor.

I'd like to combine both switches as one switch. I know stacking is impossible and the only thing I can think of as a newbie is to have a fiber connection between the 3850 and 2960 but that would still force me to put two separate configs on both switches. 

So now I'm looking at clustering the different models.  Is it possible to put both switches in a cluster OR have one 3850 and a few (maybe 3) 2960's in a cluster?

Thank you in advance and I am open to answer any questions.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Meri Christmas wrote:

I'd like to combine both switches as one switch. I know stacking is impossible and the only thing I can think of as a newbie is to have a fiber connection between the 3850 and 2960 but that would still force me to put two separate configs on both switches. 

Not possible.  

They're not even the same model so it's not possible that both can "share" a single config.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Meri Christmas wrote:

Not possible.  

They're not even the same model so it's not possible that both can "share" a single config.