cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cluster Manager

oniant
Level 1
Level 1

I have 7 3524XL switches all connecting to a 4006 switch. When I launch cluster Builder on any of the 3524s all I see is just the switch as the commander and the 4006 switch. I do not see the other switches on the map, hence I cannot add them into the same cluster. I have even manually configured all the switches to be in the same cluster but I still can't see them together on a single cluster builder screen. I have IOS 12.0(5.4)WC(1) on the switches.

11 Replies 11

msjouw
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have CDP enabled on the ports connecting the switches to each other?

CMS cluster builder uses CDP info so turn it on on the 4006 and the 3524 ports connecting to eachother.

Regards, Maarten Sjouw.

Yes, cdp is enabled on all ports on the switches. The ports connecting the switches are also configured as trunks with 802.1q. Everything is working properly on the switches except for Clustering. I have a feeling that the IOS version on the 3524XLs might be the reason, but I have not been able to find any article in CCO to confirm this.

Many thanks for your response.

I think the problem might be caused by trunking. Do you mean Etherchannel (Port-Grouping) or real trunking?

Try looking in this url:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c2900xl/29_35wc/rn54/ol162801.htm

Release Notes for the Catalyst 2900 Series XL and Catalyst 3500 Series XL Switches,

Cisco IOS Release 12.0(5.4)WC(1)

Mauricio

mmoscoso
Level 1
Level 1

I suggest you to check the following issues in order to configure a cluster of switches.

1.Cable the swiches together and assign an IP address to the command switch, (only one command switch per cluster)

2. Enable the switch as the command switch (CVSM home page or using the CLI:cluster enable {name}), name the cluster.

3.Turn on the switches, using the CDP, the command switch identify the candidates switches that you can add to a cluster. (try in CLI: show cluster candidates)

4. Candidates MUST satisfy the following:

CDP enabled - connected to the command switch through ports that belong to VLAN 1 (admin VLAN) and that are in STP forwarding state.

5.Add the members to the cluster.

Take in count this too:

Member switches cannot connect to the command switch through a port that is defined as a network port or through a secured port that is disabled due a security violation

Hope this help

Mauricio

mmoscoso
Level 1
Level 1

I suggest you to check the following issues in order to configure a cluster of switches.

1.Cable the swiches together and assign an IP address to the command switch, (only one command switch per cluster)

2. Enable the switch as the command switch (CVSM home page or using the CLI:cluster enable {name}), name the cluster.

3.Turn on the switches, using the CDP, the command switch identify the candidates switches that you can add to a cluster. (try in CLI: show cluster candidates)

4. Candidates MUST satisfy the following:

CDP enabled - connected to the command switch through ports that belong to VLAN 1 (admin VLAN) and that are in STP forwarding state.

5.Add the members to the cluster.

Take in count this too:

Member switches cannot connect to the command switch through a port that is defined as a network port or through a secured port that is disabled due a security violation

Hope this help

Mauricio

millerv
Level 1
Level 1

Would the fact that the 4000 does not support cluster manager have anything to do with this?

Yes,when a switch that supports CDP but does not support clustering is connected to the command switch,the cluster is unable to discover the candidates that are attcehd to that switch.

mbhat
Level 1
Level 1

Further to my suggestion please refer to this url which clearly states what the trouble is, please read the last section of `Automatic Discovery of Cluster Candidates`:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c2900xl/29_35wc/sc/swgclust.htm#xtocid44665

Thank you all for you efforts on this issue. After reading that article, I have now realized that the 4006 switch is probably the reason why the Cluster is not working properly. So I connected to another LAN segment within the network with 4 x 2950 switches connected together in a stack (cascaded), and guess what, exactly the same problem!!! These switches are running IOS 12.0(5.3)WC(1). CDP is running on all the switches. They all connect together using trunk ports.

Connecting through a switch not supporting clustering should not be a big problem - you still should be able to add the switches to cluster manaully (I've done it personally).

Another tip: don't you have any ip http access-class defined in your config? If yes, this might cause a problem. Cluster Management Protocol is using strange IP addresses derived from the switches MAC addresses for internal communication (to identify them use debug cluster .....).

HTH,

Milan