cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Compression /PPP multilink

martin.sweeney
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 7513 running a RSP2 IOS 12.1(16) .A compression adaptor and a channelized E1 pri reside in a VIP2-50.

With dialers configured for ppp multilink and compression enabled the compression card does not relieve the processor. "sh compress" returns only software compression in use. (cpu utilization runs high)

In any case wouldn't the VIP take the load away from the RSP when "compress stac distributed" is enabled (it doesn't) or

Is it simply the case that multilink sessions cannot be compressed..............?????

2 Replies 2

Hello Martin,

I found this on CCO:

If the router contains a compression service adapter (CSA), compression is performed in the CSA hardware (hardware compression).

If the CSA is not available, compression is performed in the software installed on the VIP2 (distributed compression).

If the VIP2 is not available, compression is performed in the router's main processor (software compression).

Since you say that you can see only software compression and cpu utilization runs high, I wonder if your VIP2 is recognized at all. Have you tried to reseat it ?

Regards,

Georg

I have 12 active ppp multilink and some single channel sites connected to it - the VIP is definately recognized - so to is the compression card.

I cannot force disrtibuted compression - it displays "software compression" only.

Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: