cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuration register stuck at 0x3922

makkam
Level 1
Level 1

I Xmodem an IOS file to my 2620 router and in the process set the console bps to 115200 which chaged the register to 0x3922. Now when I try to connect from the console with any bps, I get garbage!

I can connect from the AUX port and get to the User Exec. mode but since no privileged password is set, I can't get any further to change the config register back to 0x2102.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

saeansar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In this case, please change the speed under Line Con 0 to 9600 and then change the config-register to 2102 or anthing which responds to 9600 baud rate

Hope thats answers your queries.

Cheers

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you can break into rommon, try changing the config-register in rommon

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/701/59.html#rommon1

Here are the most common break keys

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/701/61.html

I tried breaking into rommon but I didn't work. I had changed the router speed in rommon to xmodem a new IOS, but now I can't break into it no can I console into it. Thanks for your suggestion.

you cannot change the config register from rommon when the router is hosed up from rommon. all of the output is gibberish at this point. how do you recover the original baud rate remotely (connected via secureCRT) Already attempted to change the baud rate in the terminal. still getting gibberish. Router is not accessible physically

brad-denham
Level 1
Level 1

If you have your 2620 connected via ethernet or via a serial connection, telnet to the router and change the speed on your console port back to 9600. This will change your config register back to 0x2102.

The router doesn't have a working config, all the interfaces are not configured and there are no passwords configured. I can connect to the router via the AUX port but only to the User mode since no enable password is configured.

Moh.Elhassan
Level 1
Level 1

hoooooo! This is very OLD post though, but I found it "not answered yet!" .. acutally I landed here after googled exactly the same problem with my 2620. I found the solution for a part of it. You can console into the router using the exact same terminal prametters you used to Xmodemed your IOS file==>  Bitrate = 115200

Databit= 8

Parity = none

Stopbits= 1

Flowcontrol= hardware

It works for me.

On the other hand, the router actually stuck at the 0x3922 register value, even if you cahnge it via ROMON for 0x2102 it will return back to 0x3922 after the 1st reload. The same issue exist when using the:

Router(config)#config-register

that's it

saeansar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In this case, please change the speed under Line Con 0 to 9600 and then change the config-register to 2102 or anthing which responds to 9600 baud rate

Hope thats answers your queries.

Cheers

had the same issue with Cisco ISR 2811 and after changing the speed on line con 0, and change the

config-register to 0x2102 it worked fine.

thank you Saeed Ansari

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: