cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring Vlans w/ global config mode

geoff.porter
Level 1
Level 1

I've been working on a Cat6509 (also the VTP server) and I started adding vlans in global config mode. When I type "sho vlan" I can see all of the vlans I have added so far. When I look at the running-config/startup-config I show no signs of the vlans... not even a "vlan 2" (or vlan 3, etc).

Should I be seeing anything about my vlans when I type "sho run"?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I know they show up in our native 6509's . It should be in the running config up near the top of the config.

I think the way it works is if you are running server mode it idoes not show up because that will put it into the vlan.dat file , if it is in transparent mode it will show up in the global config. So with that thought besides backing up the config you will also need to back up the vlan.dat file otherwise those vlans will be missing if you ever have to replace the supervisor. I don't know why they made it that way it should be all in the running config .

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Friend,

Can you please confirm the mode which you have used to configure vlans. Is it global config mode or vlan database mode.

Regards,

Ankur

It's global configuration mode.

I type:

conf t

vlan 5

name test

exit

thanks

I know they show up in our native 6509's . It should be in the running config up near the top of the config.

I think the way it works is if you are running server mode it idoes not show up because that will put it into the vlan.dat file , if it is in transparent mode it will show up in the global config. So with that thought besides backing up the config you will also need to back up the vlan.dat file otherwise those vlans will be missing if you ever have to replace the supervisor. I don't know why they made it that way it should be all in the running config .

I moved this 6509 to VTP transparent mode and the vlans showed up. When I moved them back to VTP Server mode, they went away. So that explains what I was seeing.

thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: