cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting 2 VLANs

londint
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 vlans on 2 different switches belonging to 2 different vtp domains. I want these networks to conect to each other.

e.g Vlan 5 on Switch5 under vtp five

and Vlan 10 on Switch 10 under vtp ten

I need devices on vlan 5 to be able to connect to devices on vlan 10.

How can I go about doing this?

Thanks

11 Replies 11

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

I presume these VLANs are on different IP (sub)networks. And I presume the two switches are not connected in any way. In that case, you will need a router or a layer-3 switch. Send each VLAN through to a router, using one router physical interface for each switch if necessary, and then route between the two.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Sorry I forgot to add that the 2 switches are Cisco 3550 so they are L3 device.

So how do I go about doing this?

Thanks

londint,

You have to create the Layer 2 vlans in the Catalysts, and then configure one Switched Virtual Interface (SVI) for each layer 2 vlan. For example, if you have VLan 2 on SWITCH 1, and VLAN 3 on SWITCH2, and you want inter-VLAN routing, you would do this:

SWITCH 1: (assuming it is a VTP Server)

#conf t

#vlan database

vtp domain mydomain

vlan 2

vlan 3

exit

#interface vlan 2

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

no shut

SWITCH 2:

#vlan database

#vtp domain mydomain

exit

#interface vlan 3

ip address w.w.w.w z.z.z.z

no shut

After that, you will have to connect both switches using Layer 3 routed interfaces and configuring this connection as member of another VLAN, for example VLAN 4. Then configure one static route in SWITCH 1 like this:

#ip route w.w.w.w z.z.z.z vlan3

and the same thing on SWITCH 2:

#ip route x.x.x.x y.y.y.y vlan 3

And that should work.

Thanks. Where do I use vlan4. And for the ip route on Switch 2 should it be

ip route x.x.x.x y.y.y.y vlan 2?

Also I already have configured on Switch 2 ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 vlan9 as the devices on this switch are already on Vlan 9. Vlan 9 traffic goes over another WAN link to another network.

And on switch 1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 vlan10 as the devices on this switch are already configured for vlan 10. Vlan 10 goes over another WAN Link to another network.

So my objective is to connect these 2 switches together.

Thanks

erhoehne
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, you will need a router to pass traffic between these two vlans.

Good Luck!

Hi all, i have the same issue but it works, a switch from the provider with a VLAN ID connected to our switch with another VLAN ID

i have the native VLAN mismatch, It's for IPTV, but it works

is there a problem with this array ?

We do not have enough information about your situation to give good advice. Is the port on your switch configured as an access port or as a trunk port? Is there a single vlan involved or are multiple vlans involved?

HTH

Rick

Our switch is connected to the provider router
the switch port is an access port configured on IPTV vlan
the router port VLAN is different.
It seems to work, but i have this VLAN mismatch warning

NATIVE_VLAN_MISMATCH: Native VLAN mismatch discovered on
GigabitEthernet1/0/5 (1804), with expr07-ixe-2 GigabitEthernet1 (404).

thanks!

NB: BTW, I disagree with prior answers where they note its only possible using L3, but this posting predates my joining the community.

If you're exchanging just two (mis-matched VLAN IDs) VLANs across trunk ports where the those VLANs are defined as native (or where they are both access ports), yes, I would expect the frames to be exchanged as the frames are untagged. CDP, if active on the port, though, will "complain".

I don't believe it would cause any issues besides CDP complaints, however I wouldn't recommend it as a normal practice.

I agree with you, it's not a normal practice, but a lot of customers have
these messages when they are connected
to a provider. But usually that works, i assume because it's
a single VLAN.

Thanks !
Diego

Diego

Thanks for the clarification. If the interface on your switch connected to the provider is an access port then it participates in a single vlan. And it expects to receive Ethernet frames that do not have vlan tags. Since it is working then this indicates that it is receiving frames with no vlan tags. 

In this case the message is an informational message and not an error message. There is a single vlan and that vlan is working ok.

HTH

Rick