cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting multilayer switch to router

Prech
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, Does anyone know how to connect a multilayer core switch to a router in a way so that any traffic whose destination is not known inside the network of the switch is directed to the router? 

Thank you! 

4 Replies 4

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

A connection between Multilayer Switch and Router is recommended as an L3 link (Single port or EtherChannel). You can configure a Default route on your Multilayer Switch toward to the router interface IP address and static routes on your router for all VLANs/Subnets which you configured on your Switching.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Thank you for the reply, 

And how can i do that in terms of commands in the switch and in the router? Could an ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.16.1.1 work on the switch, if the router interface ip is 172.16.1.1. And in terms of the router how do I configure the static routes to my subnets ?

Thank you in advance.

Prech

If you point the routing from switch 

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.16.1.1 

same way you need to point back return traffic back to switch depends on the IP address you have internally.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi,

Q: And how can i do that in terms of commands in the switch and in the router? Could an ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.16.1.1 work on the switch, if the router interface ip is 172.16.1.1

Ans: Yes, It is correct. you command will "IP route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.16.1.1"

Q: And in terms of the router how do I configure the static routes to my subnets?

Ans: If your Switch subnet is 192.168.1.0/24 and switch IP address for P2P connection between router and switch is 172.16.1.2 than your command will

"IP route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 172.16.1.2"

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!