cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

connecting Multiple 4507's

rickhamilton
Level 1
Level 1

We have 3 Cisco 4507's, all have 2 supervisor modules and we have GBIC's in all of them. My question is can we use the supervisor uplinks to connect these switched together. We will not be using fiber, it will be CAT 6 connections. Is the only way to pass information across multiple switches to create trunk ports?            

3 Replies 3

Sergey Fer
Level 1
Level 1

It is a kind of mixing, I see. Of course, you may use supervisors ports to interconnects your switches to each other. In some situations you may not use all ports because of the active-standby limitations, but you definitely may use some ports on active supervisors. Concerning trunks it is not clear now what do you mean. You may use access port, of course, but in switching environment it is a best practice - to interconnect switches witha 802.1Q trunks. For many-many reasons.

Using fibers for switch interconnection is not a requirement.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
My question is can we use the supervisor uplinks to connect these switched together.

Of course you can.

We will not be using fiber, it will be CAT 6 connections. 

It's up to you.  Personally, I'd prefer fibre over copper.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Is the only way to pass information across multiple switches to create trunk ports?            

Depends whether your Supervisors support L3, if they do, you can route between the 4500s.