cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Console port not working

collinks2
Level 5
Level 5

hello, the console session of cisco 911 router is not displaying in putty emulator but the same console cable is working with the cisco switch.what could be the problem? i can telnet but its saying 'no password set '' Please, does any one have solution to it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Try a different baud rate 115200 but if same setups working in switch port could be dead , the telnet comes over vty port , did you set ssh access on it at all ?

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Try a different baud rate 115200 but if same setups working in switch port could be dead , the telnet comes over vty port , did you set ssh access on it at all ?

collinks2
Level 5
Level 5

Thanks Mark. I did set the ssh. Could it be that the console is dead, since I can use the same setting to log into the Cisco switch and Cisco Asa. What could make the port dead,?

Hi

they do go but rarely , the fact that its working in another cisco device is bit worrying.

Can you access by ssh , you could tale a showtech and get cisco to swap the router out if its under support , if not supported access by ssh and configure the aux port as well if you have 1 as another form of access

theres not many fixes for a broken console except replace it , you could try break into rommon if possible reimage it through xmodem incase its a softwrae bug

collinks2
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your response. I have contacted cisco partner to come and pick up the device. It's still under warranty.

However there is another issue that is bothering. I have this poe switch 2960x series. All the ports suddenly went down. If I try to bring them up, using the no shut down command, I will receive a message that the ports cannot be brought up because they have failed power in line test. 3 Cisco 8945 phones are connected to this switch.

Is there any way one can create a hotspot server using a Cisco router that will authenticate users to browse the Internet?.  Mikrotic router is supporting this feature. Also, my colleagues in the office are saying that with mikrotic, the speed of the Internet is better than with Cisco router

Hi

can you post the log off the 2960 your receiving for poe , did you check the show power inline is there and has poe available , these switches support 802.3af that 8945s use so the phones should work , so either you have overdrawn the poe allowance or somethings gone wrong like software issue or like one of my 65 modules other week poe just stopped working after been online couple years needed to be replaced

post the log you seen and the show power inline -- so can get a clear picture

regarding router speeds I cant really comment on that as I have not got either platform model , as well different features use up different resources on routers and some can half wan throughput like IPsec due to overhead so its only realistic to measure them if both of them are using exact same config features and in same environment , did you check the spec release for both devices the Mikrotic could be a more powerful router , Cisco gear is expensive for the same price you can get more powerful less preferable platforms that's well known , it can be a brand decision sometimes and a feature decision as Cisco does tend to offer more options in platforms and there support product information etc can be better than other vendors

Not sure about the hotspot I dont do wireless really , maybe a 3850 could do it if you check that model as it has wlc capabilities

find attached the error message.how  do i enable log ?

That looks looks switch need to be rma  , the power on self test cant start poe so it looks like hardware fault in the switch

do you get anything when the switch is online with command - show power inline

Hello, Mark 

I do get something with the show power  inline command. I can see the power raring for the phone, power consumption and power balance.

Can lack of Ac cause this issue? The Ac is not functioning very well

About the speed performance of the router(3600),i configured the basic settings like nat, access list, class map to block some Web sites.we don't have much resources in the network. We only have VOIP (only for internal communication) and a local server(ERP) when users try to access the Erp via Cisco router, the speed will be very slow

Hope to read from you

A lack of power could cause poe to fail as it does not have the source to provide what it needs , check the switch in an area where you know there are no power issues to rule out the switch hardware as being at fault. POE switches can draw a bit so its important there is enough resources for it

3600 router would be very old , its 10 years eol if that's what your using and when you set NAT or IPsec it can half wan throughput due to overhead , you might get 40mb out of a 3640 if your lucky that's with no services enabled

Hello Mark,

What baffles me is that we have other Cisco switches in the same rack and power issue didn't affect  them. The affected ones are different models with the unaffected ones. I will try to plug it to a different power source.

What's the model of cisco router that can support VOIP (8945 phone)  independent of a Cisco 6000 buisness edition? I can use Cisco 2811 on packet tracer to set up 7960 phones but I when I tried using it in the real world to Configure 8945, it failed. The phones listed there are 79xx series. The  version of call manager is 4.0

I have another issue with Cisco 2960 switch.  I erased the start-up configuration file. After reloading the ios, it took me rommonitor mode. I tried  to boot it but it failed. I tried to check the directory but would not see config.text.i only saw. envs

Do u have a better solution?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: