cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

console problem

diskmagnet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all...have done some searching but have not found my specific issue covered here. I recently obtained a Catalyst 5505 multi-layer switch for my home Cisco lab, and do not have access to its console feature. I have an official Cisco rolled console cable and RJ-45 to DB9 adapter and a known-good COM port on my PC. I have been trying with hyperterminal settings specified by many Cisco websites and other support sources, still to no avail. I would like to reset this switch to factory defaults so I can begin experimenting with it, and am wondering if there is any way to do this externally, as I would surmise the console port has been disabled by software.

The switch has a Supervisor III NFFC management module in it. The switch has an IP address on a label from its previous installation, and upon configuring a PC to that subnet and connecting it to the 24 port ethernet module I am unable to ping it.

Any help appriciated, thanks all!

Levi G.

4 Replies 4

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Levi,

Sup 3 console for cat5k switch does not work with standard roll over cable.

You need to have normal straight through cable to access the sup 3 console port for cat5k switch.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

esanders
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Levi

having the same problem, I also am looking for the correct cable.

Thanks for your message.

I am sure it will help me to.

Hi Eric,

Did you forget the appropriate address to ask these questions ;)

The right cable for a console connection to a Supervisor III NFFC is a Straight-through UTP cable and a Terminal-adapter (this is a RJ-45 to DB-9 adapter usually labeled 'Terminal')

Greatings from NEON!

Hy mister Freyer,

the forgotten trick was connecting two Cisco blue cross-overs after another.

But thanks for the help.

Kind regards

Eric

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: