cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Convert a switch into a hub

alanchia2000
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to convert a Catalyst 2950 to a hub? I need to sniffer packets, and do not have a hub but a switch.

9 Replies 9

anand
Level 1
Level 1

just make all the ports as half duplex.

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Unfortunately, there is no way to this this fully. You can sniff a limited number of ports (can't remember exactly how many in the 2950, but I think it's 4 ports) using SPAN. Look for the monitor session command in the documentation. You can monitor the uplink, and that would give you most of the traffic.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the note. But I wasn't exactly looking for switchport port analyzers. In fact, I have a core switch already doing SPAN, and I want those monitored sessions to be redirected to a hub so that I can connect different type of sniffers going to that hub. Since I have no hubs to start with, I will use what I have which is a Catalyst 2950.

Any idea on how to convert a switch into a hub?

The one thing that swithes do is mac-learning that sets them apart from Hubs. There is no support for disabling mac-learning in these switches today . If there was , you can turn a switch into a hub. AFAIK , you cannot turn 2950 into a hub , i.e to say you can not disable mac-learning.

thanks

Salman Z.

Here's what i think u could do..

get a mac-address flooding tool. ie. dsniff, macof.. when u flood the cam table of the switch with bogus mac-address, fill the cam table to the brim, then the switch will start acting like a hub.

If the switch can't learn anymore mac-address, (since it's filled up with bogus macs) it'll start forwarding incoming packets out all ports. There u go, u hv a hub. ;)

Don't you think it would be much more effective to spend 10 USD for a noname 8-port hub?

Regards,

Milan

Kevin,

Why do you think it should be this way? I think I just did this (on a 3550 series switch, notably - but still).

Here's the CLI code:

interface VLAN2
 no ip directed-broadcast
 no ip route-cache
 shutdown
!

interface range Fa0/1-3
 switchport access vlan 2
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport mode trunk
!
Details: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21507279/how-to-convert-cisco-switch-to-hub

That still makes it a switch, not a hub.

Once a switch sees a frame coming into a port, it observes the source MAC address in the frame and associates that MAC address with that port.  When it has a frame to forward to that MAC address it will forward it to that port only.  It is still acting as a transparent bridge.  A port will not transmit frames destined to any MAC addresses the switch has seen on other ports.

The characteristic of a hub is it will forward all frames to all ports except the one it received it on.

Kevin

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Actually, I have just thought of something that might work, but on one VLAN only ... declare the VLAN as a SPAN VLAN.  I believe that disables learning for that VLAN.  I've not tried it, but I think it should work.

Kevin