Views
Helpful
Replies

Converting a Switch port to HUB port

rodriguesl
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to know how i can make a port from a switch to work like a hub port.

Regards

LR

21 Replies 21

Switch DOES forward unicasts to all it's ports, if the destination MAC-address unknown. It doesn't make indeed much difference in this case, just a nice thing to know.

And never underestimate the power of other peoples reflection. ;) There is a nice feature on Catalyst 6500, for example. If you're configuring vlan access-list you are able to do the following:

action {{drop [log]} | {forward [capture]} | {redirect {interface interface-number}} | {port-channel channel-id} {interface interface-number} | {port-channel channel-id} ...}

where:

forward

Forwards (switched by hardware) the packets to its destination.

capture

(Optional) Sets the capture bit for the forwarded packets so that ports with the capture function enabled also receive the packets.

I dunno, how to enable capture, but the next option looks perfectly suitable for our case too

redirect interface

Redirects packets to the specified interfaces; possible valid values are ethernet, fastethernet, gigabitethernet, tengigabitethernet, pos, atm, and ge-wan.

It's not proved here, but I don't see why shouldn't it work. Yes, it doesn't make a hub from a switch and overweighted, but is able to do the job, if someone desire it so bad. :)

I have always used SPAN when putting IDS on the line. Switches will not work like a hub but you can redirect all traffic from any number of ports to a single port, thus making it behave like a hub. SPAN is the only way you can do this...the only way that makes sense anyway. Otherwise, there are actual hardware differences that make a switch not be a hub.

make it a trunk port and see if that's what you looking for...

@rodriguesl  

K@yT
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

You erase all the configs from the access switch you want to use as an HUB and add Vlan interface and switch-port trunk so that they can communicate with the port you'll be using as up-link. K@yT     

K@yT
Level 1
Level 1
Hi
here is example of configs you need to go through....
Converting a Switch port access to HUB port
cisco switch uplink port configs

Native Vlan Configuration

S1 (config)#vlan 1
S1 (config-vln)#name Native

S1 (config)#inter Ga0/1
S1 (config-inter)#description Trunk to Sw2
S1 (config-inter)#switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
S1 (config-inter)#switchport mode trunk
S1 (config-inter)#switchport trunk native vlan 1

Trunk Port Configuration

S1 (config)#inter Fa0/3
S1 (config-inter)#description Trunk to Sw2
S1 (config-inter)#switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
S1 (config-inter)#switchport mode trunk

Verification to Show inter swtport

S1#sh int ga0/1 swtport
K@yT
let me know if it worked for you....

K@yT
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, rodriguesl

Not sure if i understand your question...however Go to that Port and Configure it as a trunk port.

rtando@udi.com
Level 1
Level 1

The command you need is 

no mac-address-table learning  vlan vlan-id

This will turn an individual VLAN into a Hub.

If your span is of a trunk which for IDS mine is then you need to create each VLAN on your switch you are connecting to the IDS and disable MAC address learning on all of the VLANs and then put the three ports in Trunking mode.