cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating vlans in a Catalyst 2948G-l3

sguerrero
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to configure vlans trough a catalyst 2948 but when accessing command "interface vlan 1"

from config term, I get a message that says that this command is not complete. Is there a special mode to access vlan commands? or maybe I am experiencing a software problem? my software is cat2948g-in-mz.120-7.w5.18g.bin?

7 Replies 7

Kris.keen
Level 1
Level 1

These switches are Set based I believe (I have a 2926 which is set based) to define VLANs use the "set vlan ?" command

set vlan 5 1/5-10 would define vlan 5 with ports 5-10

use the ? for help on set vlan commands

Thank you Kris, but this is not the case, the "set" commandas are not available in this version. What I need to do is to route two VLANs trough this 2948G-L3 switch and that´s why I need to configure these commands.

Anyway, I do really appreciate your help.

Socorro Guerrero

Hmm, I thought the 2926T/F and 2948-L3 were set..I know the 2926T & F are.. Look on TAC, there must be the configs and so on there.

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Use bridge crb (Concurrent routing and bridging) or bridge irb (Integrated routing and bridging) command in global configuration and you would be able to bridge and route at the same time. Then don't use "int vlan .." command but "int fa 1" or "int BVI 1" command to configure routing interfaces.

HTH,

Milan

Thank you very much Milan, I already configured the switch with irb and used two different BVI interfaces (1 and 2 each of them with ips of different segments) and I am able to communicate from one segment to the other trough the same switch and trough the 3548s connected to VLAN 1. In Catalysts 3548 I am using VLAN1 and in the GIGABIT ports isl encapsulation.

Milan:I already configured two different BVI interfaces and separated some fast ethernet ports to bridge-group 1 and others for bridge-group 2. This works OK with static IPs. Do you have any idea how I can enable DHCP in this switches in order to have only one DHCP server to assign addresses to both ip segments? I just tried using command ip bootp server (which apparently enables bootp, but this did not work. DHCP server works OK but only assings IPs to the same segment it belongs to. I connect catalists 3548 to the 2948 and neither stations connected to these switches are assigned an IP (only if the 3548s belong to the same VLAN segment than the DHCP server is. I am desperate. Do you have any suggestion? I´d really appreciate your help and sorry for interrupting you.

Thanks, Socorro Guerrero.

bsivasub
Level 4
Level 4

Here is the sample config

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/29.html

One advice to all users....

www.cisco.com search engine is awesome, just try it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: