cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CW2000 database schemas and ODBC interface.

minielsen
Level 2
Level 2

Are the CW2000 database schemas available? Is there an ODBC interface for the Sybase Anywhere database?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Other info would me the on-line help withing the RME help docs.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

No. But you can use the RME Data Extraction Engine (DEE) to automate the export of configs and inventory:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cw2000-rme

I know of DEE, but have only seen the DEE white paper (http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/wr2k/rsmn/prodlit/cwdee_wp.htm). Is there any other documentation available?

Other info would me the on-line help withing the RME help docs.

minielsen
Level 2
Level 2

I managed to find an ODBC driver for Sybase iAnywhere and get access directly to the CW2000 databases using an inventory extracting utility (but could also have been a reporting tool like Crystal). Anybody interested in the details can contact me offline at michael.imhoff@hp.com.

Hi Mike..

This is great information that you provided our dba (Jose)with. The info will be helpful for us to create and automate the custom reports that we require.

John

Numerous people has asked for this info so here it is. The screenshots you'll still have to get from me.

I did my testing with 5th edition on Windows 2000 using iAnywhere version 7.

The trick is to look at the ODBC configuration on the CW2000 server. I have made some screen dumps that shows the details.

I downloaded Sybase iAnywhere version 8 in a full installation image. You only need the ODBC driver on your remote system (also shown).

Then I configured this driver in the same way as on the server (also included). The important part is to remember the database password specified during the CW2000 installation. If you don't recall it this information can be found in clear text in a file in the CW2000 directory (once again look at the screen dumps). The passwords are however encrypted in the latest version.

The final step was to connect from a utility. This could be Crystal. In my case I used a utility from HP OpenView ServiceDesk. OVSD is a ITIL compliant service management tool for incident, problem, change, configuration and service level management handling (trouble ticketing application (plus more) if you know that term better).

In this way I got access to the RME database. My aim is to get inventory information out of this database and put it into the Configuration Management Database (CMDB) of OVSD.

I haven't got any further at this stage. The schemas are not documented by Cisco, so it's a reverse engineering task. The other obstacle is that the schemas could change without notice.

My other option is to use the DEE ( Data Extracting Engine ), which is provided as an unsupported add-on to RME 3.4 and is build into RME 3.5. This utility extracts inventory data into XML formatted files, which in turn can be imported by OVSD.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: