Helpful
Replies

Data center vs mdf?

springxdxml
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My question is,

What is the difference between a data center and an MDF. I know the ISP line always drops into the MDF. Is that the same with a data center? If so, to me it seem like a data center is just a very large mdf that needs alot of cooling, and space.

1 Reply 1

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

MDF

Short for main distribution frame, a cable rack that interconnects and manages the telecommunications wiring between itself and any number of

IDFs. Unlike an IDF, which connects internal lines to the MDF, the MDF connects private or public lines coming into a building with the internal network. For example, an enterprise that encompasses a building with several floors may have one centralized MDF on the first floor and one IDF on each of the floors that is connected to the MDF

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/M/MDF.html

data center is a term that refer to the entire physical location that host multiple physical and logical technologies such as MDF, Racks, servers , Network equipments ..etc where an MDF could be used to interconnect the building floors IDFs to the building Data center

hope this help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: