cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP in mutliple VLANs

smahrous
Level 1
Level 1

Using Two 6513 as backbone switches with 3550 as access switches , How I can configure each department to be in a separate VLAN using DHCP by the 6513 ? And how can I use the two 6513 for this ? Notice that each access switch has 2 uplinks , one for each backbone , we have data network 192.168.0.0 , ip telephony network 10.10.0.0 ..How I can do that ?

Please advice

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

The access layer 3550 can be configured with vlans.

The MSFC on the 6513 can be configured with vlan interfaces (using interface vlan X command). These vlans can be configured with ip addresses (ip address x.x.x.x command). This ip address will be default gateway of PCs on the appropriate vlan.

Now setting up DHCP can be done in two ways. You can use IOS DHCP or you can use an external DHCP server.

if you use external DHCP server, configure "ip helper" to send dhcp requests to the server.

if you use internal IOS server, configure as follows.

ip dhcp pool DHCPvlan1

network /

default-router <>

ip dhcp pool DHCPvlan2

network /

default-router <>

ip dhcp pool DHCPvlan3

network /

default-router <>

etc.

Now if you have two 6513s, for each vlan you might want to create a HSRP group and use HSRP redundancy.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

The access layer 3550 can be configured with vlans.

The MSFC on the 6513 can be configured with vlan interfaces (using interface vlan X command). These vlans can be configured with ip addresses (ip address x.x.x.x command). This ip address will be default gateway of PCs on the appropriate vlan.

Now setting up DHCP can be done in two ways. You can use IOS DHCP or you can use an external DHCP server.

if you use external DHCP server, configure "ip helper" to send dhcp requests to the server.

if you use internal IOS server, configure as follows.

ip dhcp pool DHCPvlan1

network /

default-router <>

ip dhcp pool DHCPvlan2

network /

default-router <>

ip dhcp pool DHCPvlan3

network /

default-router <>

etc.

Now if you have two 6513s, for each vlan you might want to create a HSRP group and use HSRP redundancy.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I heard many times problems of Using IOS DHCP due to different vendors as microsoft and cisco leading to some clients cant get sometimes an IP Address ..Is that right ?

Please advice