cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP

khanage
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am new to IT and young. Can someone please tell me what a client is and types of clients or examples of clients. Thank you

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

A device that can access the network. Your PC, laptop, phone, gaming console, etc.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

what a client is?

I'm still unsure what you wish to learn.

Term "client" is used for entity (=something) asking a service/data/action from a server.

DHCP protocol is designed to distribute configurations, thus DHCP client is client using DHCP protocol to request configuration data from DHCP server. As I mentioned already, such client is common part of devices connected to network (especially those connected by wired Ethernet or WiFi) like old classic PC.

Is it the answer of your question ?

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your question is so generic so I'm unsure you wish to learn.

DHCP is protocol used by network devices to fetch network configuration from a server (so they needs not to be configured manually by an administrator). DHCP client is a piece of code sending DHCP request and processing the response. Final form of so called DHCP client vary - it may be a casual program running on system, special kind of service running on system, but it may be just part of overall network stack code (e.g. there's no separate process running at all).

Try to explain the purpose of your question - we may provide better answer to you then.

Thank you for replying. I am quite new so I am confused. Would this make sense, can you give me examples of what a client is?

A device that can access the network. Your PC, laptop, phone, gaming console, etc.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you for explaining and taking time to reply.

what a client is?

I'm still unsure what you wish to learn.

Term "client" is used for entity (=something) asking a service/data/action from a server.

DHCP protocol is designed to distribute configurations, thus DHCP client is client using DHCP protocol to request configuration data from DHCP server. As I mentioned already, such client is common part of devices connected to network (especially those connected by wired Ethernet or WiFi) like old classic PC.

Is it the answer of your question ?

Thank you for understanding, explaining and putting time

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: