cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

difference between traceroute from cw2000 and traceroute from W2K cmd

ROMAN TOMASEK
Level 1
Level 1

I have the difference between traceroute from Diagnostics-Connectivity Tools-Traceroute and the command traceroute from C2K console. When I use traceroute from cw2000 I can't to reach a destination, but when I use traceroute I reach the same destination. Can this relate to setting proxy in the IE? Can you help me, please. Thanks

5 Replies 5

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

Are you connecting to the CW2K server from a Client via a Proxy?. If so, then you need to add the Proxy info under CW2K Server Configuration for your user as well as in your web browser.

Thanks. But, I tried it from CW2000 server. I tried connect some devices in remote network. My traceroute from cw finished on the border router (firewall), but from the w2k console I reached the remote device. I have set proxy in the IE and proxy in cw200o for user (in add user).

Win2k's traceroute uses ICMP probes while most other implementations (including UNIX) use UDP probes on high ports. So, perhaps CW2000 uses UDP and the router/firewall that the CW2000 traceroute ends at is blocking these UDP probes but passing ICMP.

I tried traceroute from Linux and the result is same as for w2k. I think that traceroute is ICMP with UDP. ICMP is sent by hosts when TTL=0 and UDP port is set for destination, which send ICMP port unreachable.

Windows traceroute uses ICMP exclusively. Rather than sending UDP probes, it sends ICMP pings with increasing TTL values.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: