cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Discovering ATM devices with ANI Server

spfeffer
Level 1
Level 1

Is there anything special that needs to be done to discover devices that are attached to our network via ATM cloud? We have a DS-3 circuit out to an ATM cloud with many devices attached to this cloud. From the router with the DS-3, I cannot see any CDP information for all the devices in the cloud. Any tips or tricks? Thanks.

Sonny

5 Replies 5

grayd
Level 1
Level 1

Without CDP, ANI will not automatically discover the devices. What we do is to list a device from each site in the seed device list.

I was hoping you weren't going to say that. That's what I have been doing. It works, but Campus Manager shows the discovered ATM devices as "disconnected". So, there's NO WAY to have cdp information traverse ATM links??? Thanks for the quick reply.

Sonny

Not sure of your router platform, but I seem to remember IOS 12.2T (or maybe 12.3T) will support CDP over ATM. Feature navigator should help you narrow down what version you need.

hth

For most instances, seeding the remote devices manually will need to be done. The only way it doesn't would be if you are running ATM point to point and IOS 12.2(8)T or later. In that case, CDP over ATM is supported if you are using RFC1483 encapsulation. See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk39/tk48/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a008011a901.shtml#qa23 for the details. I haven't done what the article says, but as I understand it, that would make your devices appear to be connected in Campus Manager since CDP knows the Layer 2 connection between devices.

Looks like seeding the remote devices is the way to go in this case. That's what I've been doing anyway. I was just hoping there was some tip or trick. Oh well, thanks for everyone's help.

Sonny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: