cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS not working on 2514 configured for PAT

joopv
Level 1
Level 1

I configured a 2514 (2 * ethernet + 16M ram + 16M flash) with ip-plus 12.3.13, for use with 1 public ip address and a PAT config (many-to-one).

Public has a /28 range of which i can use 1 address for PAT translation of a /24 private subnet.

Now, this works fine when i ping a public ip address from a host on the private side, but name resolving to a DNS server on the public side won't work at all.

This is the 'guts' of the config.

================================================

interface Ethernet0

description public side

ip address a.b.c.42 255.255.255.240

no ip unreachables

ip nat outside

!

interface Ethernet1

description local LAN

ip address 192.168.24.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat inside

!

ip nat inside source list 7 interface Ethernet0 overload

!

access-list 7 permit 192.168.24.0 0.0.0.255

!

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 a.b.c.d.33

================================================

What am i doing wrong here?

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you post the "guts of the config" we do not know what you have configured and what might be missing. It would be more effectivce to post the show run with sensitive information obscured.

Do you have in your config anything configured for ip name-server? If so, is the address configured for name-server reachable from this router?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

After doing more research, it seems to be an ISP problem, since the public network doesn't DNS also when we connect a pc directly.

We created a ticket at the ISP.

Thanks for your reaction - keep you informed.

Remember you can use any DNS server for resolution that is publically available for situations like this.

Daniel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: