cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

[DNS] Why cant I access cisco.com in the browser with its CDN address?

mera2me
Level 1
Level 1

Hey.

When I ping www.cisco.com in CMD the DNS will convert it to an IP address. With that IP  I should be able to access the website in the web-browser. But how does come it do not work with CDN? I always thought that when i ping something i will get back the IP address of the domain. 

Take Google.com for example. When i ping www.google.com it do not return a CDN (IP) but rather a IP address, that i can type in the browser and connect directly to google. 

Do google not use CDN? 

And how can i see the "REAL" IP address of the domain in CMD?

Pinging e2867.dsca.akamaiedge.net [88.221.37.27] with 32 bytes of data:  (CISCO.COM)

Pinging www.google.com [172.217.21.164] with 32 bytes of data:

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- A domain never has an ip-address attached as such, most those get delegated and or can have different values , if needed and or for load balancing purposes for hosts. Mostly hosts get ip addresses in that context , not domains.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Could you elaborate? I didn't understand everything you wrote.  

What I understood from your reply is that, unlike hosts there's no fixed or temporary (DCHP / DCHPV6) IP address attached to a domain. 

But if a domain never have a IP attached to it, how can DNS resolve it to an IP, and know which domain is connected to which IP?  And how can i connect from different parts of the world with a CDN that´s not connected to the domain? 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: