cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does CiscoWorks require SNMP read-write?

a-mcdougall
Level 1
Level 1

For obvious security reasons, I'd rather not have RW SNMP on any of my routers or switches. I am told however that CiscoWorks requires RW SNMP for some of it's functions, particularly automated config changes etc.

Can someone confirm that? Can I make full use of CW2K without SNMP RW access? It seems like a bit of a contradiction on Cisco's part, as i've seen many security documents on CCO that strongly recommend NEVER to use RW SNMP, but then they put out tools that rely on it???

4 Replies 4

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

Have a look at: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/RME/rme_transport_protocols.html which shows a matrix of what function in RME uses which method. That should give you a good picture.

Does Campus Manager requires RW access from the network elements?

I will be using User Tracker soon. Need some advice. Thanks.

For just doing the discovery, RO is needed. RW is only needed to allow write access to the devies. If you do not specify the RW string for the specific target, the default value of private is used. Refer to the on-line help within Campus Manager for more details.

Note that if you want to use RTM you'll need to use the read-write-all community name from your Catalyst switches as the write community in your RTM configuration. The read-write community name from the switch wont do it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco