cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does ISP reset the QoS markings for my traffic over the tunnel interface in an mpls circuit ?

prasey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does ISP reset the QoS markings for my traffic over the tunnel interface in an mpls circuit ?

I have an hub site A router with the following classes.

class voice

class video

class critical data

class default

Spoke site B router with the following classes

class voice

class video

class critical data

class default

ISP is providing the MPLS circuit with the following classes.

class EF - Voice

class AF4 - Video

class DE - Default

Site A to Site B has a tunnel built over this MPLS circuit.

When the traffic passes over the tunnel, does the class critical data will be retained or will it be overwritten by service providers default class ?

Thanks to advise.

Regards,

prasey

4 Replies 4

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

generally: It depends on your agreement with your ISP.

He might be either accepting your marking or overwriting it.

As he is providing a different number of classess than you are using, I guess he must be somehow mapping your classes to his ones or ignore your marking totally.

And finally mapping the DSCP values to MPLS Exp bits.

See

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t13/feature/guide/ftdtmode.html#wp1132141

for different possibilities.

It's not clear to me who is configuring the tunnels: you or the ISP?

See

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/qos/configuration/guide/tnl_mrkg_gre_tnls.html#wp1155775

for  an interesting QoS Tunnel Marking for GRE Tunnels feature details.

HTH,

Milan

More  to my reply, kindly find below the remarking picture, found in cisco article.

We are trying to achieve quite similar to this, and checking with the ISP.

Thanks guyz

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If your concern is about ToS markings of tunneled traffic, it should be left alone.  As to the ToS markings of the encapsulated packets themselves, vendor should treat those markings as they would non-encapsulated packets (as Milan noted, you'll need to ask your provider - but most providers wouldn't remark).

Thanks Milan and Jose.

Tunnel configs are in the CE is done by us.

I am checking with the ISP for their remarking criteria.

Cisco article given below shows some of the remarking models.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/QoS_SRND/Enterprise_QoS_SRND.pdf?bcsi_scan_FF3E28D5A55805EC=HsXTKeyggq3NDvvQs/+kzAEAAAAXkREA&bcsi_scan_filename=Enterprise_QoS_SRND.pdf

Thanks again

prasey

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: