cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Download configurations using RME

y.lo
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to configure RME to download configurations from managed devices regularly. I have the following questions:

1. what device attribute do I have to set correctly in order to do this? I don't have write community set on all devices.

2. After I updated a device's attributes and then use the Check device attributes to confirm the change, I found the device's attributes are not changed. Do I need to remanage the devices?

3. In Import Status under Inventory, all devices are managed. But most of them have device attribute error. Do I need to correct them one by one(I got over 200 devices) or I can do it all at once?

Thanks.

Daniel

9 Replies 9

minie
Level 4
Level 4

1. what device attribute do I have to set correctly in order to do this? I don't have write community set on all devices.

A. RME uses snmp write community to download configs. You need to have it in place on all devices.

2. After I updated a device's attributes and then use the Check device attributes to confirm the change, I found the device's attributes are not changed. Do I need to remanage the devices?

A. Updating device configs and RME inventory takes a while.

3. In Import Status under Inventory, all devices are managed. But most of them have device attribute error. Do I need to correct them one by one(I got over 200 devices) or I can do it all at once?

A. You can use RME's NetConfig to push configs to multiple devices. It uses either snmp or telnet. So if you have both snmp write community and telnet/enable wrong, then the only way is to manually do it.

Thanks for your reply.

After adding the write community string on the router, should I do the following in Ciscoworks in order to have everything in place?

1. remove the router in rme

2. rediscover the router using ani server

3. import the router from ani server into rme

Correct? or there is an easier way? Thanks.

You do NOT need to have the SNMP write community string for RME to download configurations. You can do it via a telnet session if you provide RME with the correct passwords. If you have the devices in RME already, instead of deleting them, go to RME->Administration->Inventory->Change Device Attributes. Put in the proper information. In order to set up the configuration download, go to RME->Administration->Configuration Management->General Setup and configure RME as you wish (to move off of SNMP for downloads, move telnet to above TFTP).

I did what you said to change the device attributes(put in TACACS enable username and password, delete other unused fields such as telnet password). However, after changing the attributes and then check the results, the TACACS enable field is still "did not try". What else do I need to do?

That is correct. Make sure you enter correct write community in "snmp settings".

I'm a little bit confused. Do I need to put in both write community string and TACACS enable username and password (I use TACACS for authentication to enable mode)?

CiscoWorks examines the prompt after logging in with a TACACS account. If it is a user prompt, it tries enabling using a TACACS enable username and password. If it is an enabled prompt "#", it already has the permissions it needs so it does not try the TACACS enable username and password. When you telnet to a router, do you have to manually enter "enable" and enter in your TACACS+ account again? If you do, then you need to enter the TACACS enable username and password. If you do not, CiscoWorks will not test the TACACS enable username.

When I telnet to a router, I just enter username and password and then go into enable mode directly. So what you mean is that the TACACS enable username is not tested in my case and thus the SNMP write community string must be used?

Thanks in advance.

A side question. Can I use the same string as the RO and RW community string in router?