Views
Helpful
Replies

download IOS from tftp to router

shuxiao.r
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco Community,

I am currently on a Internship at an college, and gotten a assignment to update the firmware of a cisco 2611 router.

after i got my hands on the firmware and fired up the tftp server and attempted to push the upgrade to the router it gave me a memmory insufficiency error.
at that point 2 days have passed so i decided to continue on other date, however now i came back to it the  the copy command doesnt seem to work and gives me a error opening "said file" (timed out)

i double checked if i was using the same command and if i have connection to the tftp server, and everything seems fine.

anyone have an idea what might be wrong?

6 Replies 6

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

On the TFTP server have you selected the correct root folder which contains the IOS file?

cheers,

Seb.

that is correct, just double checked.

Is there a firewall/ iptables configured on the TFTP server. Is the traffic to the TFTP service permitted? Can you try disabling the firewall?

i have disabled all firewalls and granted all access permissions. still doesnt work.

Can you run tpdump/ wireshark on the TFTP server to confirm that the request from the router is arriving at the server?

Can you also share the input/ouput you are getting from the router console when you start the TFTP process?

cheers,

Seb.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
". . . router it gave me a memmory insufficiency error."

Do you have sufficient free flash space to contain the replacement IOS? Often you need to remove the current/running image, from flash, to have sufficient free space. Also, sometimes the device's flash, even if fully empty, isn't sufficiently large to contain a later IOS version and/or one with additional software features. Lastly, some of the very old IOS versions don't actually free space by just deleting it from flash, after deleting a file you also need to "compress" flash too.