cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP bandwidth command question

cflory
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 routers (A & B) sharing a neighbor relationship. If I set the bandwidth for the ethernet interface on router A to a value of '1', to modify the default route advertised to the B router, I still see a value of 1544 on the advertised router to router B from the tunnel interface I connect to the WAN with on router A.

I basically want to use the WAN link on router B, and force all traffic from router B's secondary ethernet interface to go over it's own WAN.

The only way I seem to get this to work is to modify the neighbor interface bandwidth statement on router B to a value of '1' (any number can be used, just trying to make it less attractive than 1544).

I assume this is a local modification of the bandwidth 'out' the interface to any destination. Am I right to assume this?

If so, can someone elaborate? Thanks very much!

3 Replies 3

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

I wouldn't set the bandwidth to 1--you're likely to cause yourself more problems than you will solve, because EIGRP will always use the bandwidth across the link to pace the packets it sends across the link. So... setting the bandwidth to 1 means that EIGRP can send one packet every several seconds or so, which is really going to burt your convergence times....

Now, back to the original question, though--where are you looking at the bandwidth? If you have two routers, A and B:

A----B

And you set A's interface to a low bandwidth, B isn't going to notice this in any of its metrics. B will use it's interface bandwidth towards A to change the metrics. A will use the low bandwidth you've set to set the metrics on routes it's received from B. I'm not certain from your description above where you are looking at the topology table to see what the metrics are.

:-)

Russ.W

Thanks for your response Russ. To determine the metric I was seeing for my default route I received from router A, I used:

sh ip eigrp topo 0.0.0.0

In that output it gave me the minimum bandwidth for the route.

What you said about either router not notice the bandwidth metric, definitely makes sense, as that is what I was seeing when I configured it.

Essentially, all traffic traverses router A (even from router B's other interfaces/networks), since it is preferred (T1 versus fractional T1 on router B). I would like to send all traffic from router B, out router B's WAN, and all the rest of the traffic out router A. I was hoping to get around policy routing by modifying EIGRP metrics, but it is looking more and more like that is what I am going to have to do.

Thanks again for your assistance!

I would think that setting the metrics on router b, in this case, would change the path taken (?). In other words, change the metric on the router you want to influence the routes on.... Maybe a more detailed understanding of how the routers are actually connected, etc., would help.

:-)

Russ.W

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco