Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP - SpanningTree

NeedCiscoHelp
Level 1
Level 1

I need help for the following problem:

I want to connect two 4506 over two fast ethernet connections. I can't create a trunk because of the equipment between the switches. Both connections should run at full speed so that I theoreticly get 200 Mbps if both work, and 100 Mbps if one connection fails!

I tried to configure EIGRP with load balancing and shared traffic. I created a vlan in different subnets for each connection!

But when i am connecting the two 4506 one of them sets a ethernet port into blocking status, how can i avoid this problem?

A simple (exaample) scheme of the apllication:

4506A----2950(not configured only switching)---4506B

.........\ ---2950(not configured only switching)--- /

thanks

3 Replies 3

richard.troman
Level 1
Level 1

Do both connections go though the same 2950, and what is the vlan configuration on this device?

Are you running the 4506 ports as L3 ports or L2 ports, i.e. do you have a switchport command on the ports. I asume you are running L2 with VLANs as the L3 between the devices. You could make these L3 connections, by "no switchport" then entering the IP address etc straight onto the port.

Both connections have a seperate 2950, but the 2950 is only for example, later it shouldn't care if there is any other switch or hub or anything else between the two 4506. If i put a ip address straight onto the port will i be able to route between the port and an vlan vonfigured on the 4506??

Hello,

I am thinking you could create a Layer 2 FastEtherChannel, in order to avoid the spanning tree problem. With a channel, you could loose one link and still have access through the other link. Or create a Layer 3 FastEtherChannel. For the layer 2 channel, use the following configuration (example) on both switches:

interface Port-channel1

no ip address

switchport

switchport access vlan 20

switchport mode access

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

no ip address

switchport

switchport access vlan 20

switchport mode access

channel-group 1 mode desirable