Enterprise Network Design

rsharma1818
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have to design an enterprise network. The topology is as below

enterprise_nw.JPG

AS1, AS2 ---> Access switches (L2)

DS1, DS2 ---> Distribution Layer Switches (L2 and L3)

CS1, CS2 ---> Core routers

1. 2 Vlans viz. 100 & 200 are to be used in access layer.  Vlans DO NOT span across access layer switches

2. For gateway redundancy for each vlan, I have decided to use VRRP.

DS1 will act as primary for both vlan 100 & 200 and DS2 will act as backup

3. At DS1 & DS2, I have created Bridge domains for vlan 100 & 200. IRB.100 and IRB.200 interfaces act as routed interfaces for respective VLANs. IRB interfaces are added to VRRP configuration at DS1 and DS2. 

4. The link between DS1 & DS2 is L3

Under normal conditions, traffic from PC in vlan 100 towards the core will flow as: AS1 --> DS1 --> CS1 --> Core

Traffic from core towards PC in vlan 100 will flow as: Core --> CS1 --> DS1 --> AS1

Failure condition:

When link between AS1 & DS1 fails, DS2 becomes VRRP master. 

Traffic from PC in vlan 100 towards the core will flow as: AS1 --> DS2 --> CS2  --> Core

Regarding reverse traffic from core towards PC in vlan 100, how do I ensure that traffic follows this path: 

Core --> CS2 --> DS2 --> AS1 

I do not want the reverse traffic to get blackholed at DS1 or use the link between DS1 & DS2.

The requirement is that the reverse traffic should flow via DS2 only.

Please assist.

Thanks,

Kaushik

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

AS1, AS2 ---> Access switches (L2)

DS1, DS2 ---> Distribution Layer Switches (L2 and L3)

CS1, CS2 ---> Core routers

This seems to reasonable approach.

In the CS1 and DS1  you can run IGP (OSPF, standard insducstry Standard).

From  DS1 to AS - you can extended the L2 or you can do same L3 with IGP for routing. (to limit the broadcast domain in the ACCESS Later only)

I prefer to run HSRP rather VRRP, again depends on your expert and understanding.

you can refer latest CVD

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/solutions/CVD/Campus/CVD-Campus-LAN-WLAN-Design-Guide-2018JAN.pdf

Regarding the traffic path  depends on your design, example if the L2 mesh network  if the STP in place. alternative path any way it will be blocked. and only used if the primary path fails.

Hope this make sense ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello

As your not extending your access layer 2 stp will take care of the L2 path regards AS1-AS2.- For the distribution to/from the cores, running an igp like eigrp/ospf you could apply an less preferred interface delay or cost metric between DS1-CS2, DS2-CS1

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi,

If the interface between AS1 and DS1 goes down, is there a way to make the SVI/IRB interface for vlan down in DS1 switch ?

Basically, I do not want the DS1 switch to advertise the IRB interface into OSPF when the link between AS1 and DS1 goes down

Thanks,

Kaushik

If you are deploying IGP between Core and Distribution along with SVI and HSRP, once the interface down, the OSPF process is down,

Routing Changes automatically calculate alternative best path to route the traffic.

hope this make sense ?

BB

Hi Balaji,

Are you saying that if the link between AS1 & DS1 (Not DS1 & CS1) goes down, the IGP will know about it ?

How will the Layer 3 know about failures in Layer 2 domain ?

I was referring Core and Dist for IGP.

Access layer any way L2 only, STP - TCN will have new path, when the link go down between AS and DS

make sense ?

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: