Views
Helpful
Replies

ERPS Simulation

Mruthunjaya C R
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

How to simulate Ethernet Ring Protection Protocol(ERPS)?
If its present. What kind of switches should I use?

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

as per i know not possible or  i am aware can be done. may be wait for other to comments

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

jigojar
Level 1
Level 1

yes its possible with NCS 520 devices but open ring is only cisco proprietary. NCS 520 has the open ERPS ring concept

markanderson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Ethernet Ring Protection Switching (ERPS) is a standardized approach to network design. It enables large amounts of Ethernet traffic to flow to multiple connection points with high-level redundancy. There are several ways to implement ring networking topographies, but with Ethernet, ITU-T G.8032 is the gold standard. When used correctly, G.8032 management protects Ethernet traffic and maintains recovery times under 50 milliseconds (ms).

The concept behind the design is pretty simple. Network nodes are connected in rings, or closed loops. Subsequent rings are connected to each other by joining two nodes from each. This redundancy is what enables the fast network recovery when any single point fails. Ring constructs alone aren’t enough for stable networking as the design is prone to looping. Without protocol to prevent it, any data packet could circle a ring endlessly and eat precious bandwidth.

Hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: