Views
Helpful
Replies

Errdisabled Port Due To Loopback????

andrewmorris
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Strange one this. My FastEth port on a Cat 2950 running software ver 12.1.3 placed a port in errdisable state due to the "loopback" condition.

Now I know this option exists but I just cannot understand why a port would be placed in errdisable state due to this condition.

Please advise

Thanks, Andrew

3 Replies 3

amitsin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The most common cause for "err-disable loopback detect" as a result of keeping keepalives enabled (default) and these packets momentarily looping back

to the same port from which they originated.

The use of keepalives on the switches and routers are different. On 2950 & 3550, keepalives on ethernet interfaces are not used to determine the interface status like its done on the routers ethernet interfaces. Here, the keepalives are used solely for loop detection. The life of the keepalive packet is just across one link. The receiving switch drops the keepalive packets. Other mechanisms like sync, link loss etc are used to determine if the line partner is alive. So you can safely disable keepalives and the interface will go up or go down irrespective of the

keepalive setting.

Keepalives are essentialy used on layer 2 switches for detecting loops that Spanning Tree

has not yet blocked, eg. due to lack of CPU resources. However, even disabling keepalives

would not cause an issue since STP will eventually block redundant links, and keepalives

pose more of a problem. And the use of keepalives to keep a link up at layer 2 is used

only by routers, so we can safely disable keepalives on the port.

You can run the command errdisable recovery cause loopback or errdisable recovery cause all to get the port back up.

This link might come handy :

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/12113ea1/2950cr/cli1.htm#2946661

HTH

Amit Singh

Thanks Amit. That is really helpful. Much appreciated. Makes sense now.

heathrw
Level 4
Level 4

It also would be worth using a cable tester to double check the cable run.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: