Views
Helpful
Replies

error from 2610

bobababurko
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all-

I recently picked up a 2610 and a nm-1e1r(1 ethernet, 1 token ring) card on ebay. Well opening the box, I am like a child on my birthday...but putting a console on it and booting it wass like the cake fell on the floor.

When I boot the router with the card, I get this message and nothing else:

System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

TAC:Home:SW:IOS:Specials for info

*** Machine Check Exception ***

PC = 0xfff210c8, Vector = 0x200, SP = 0x680127c8

When I boot the router without the card, it boots fine. Where can I find out what the error is from. I want to make sure that the router is not the problem. Unfortunately, I do not have another router to check the card in. What should I do here to figure this out?

-bob

6 Replies 6

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

I couldn't find much information on NM-1E1R. I was looking for software pre-reqisites. Is it an NM-1E1R-2W? If so does it have any WIC installed? There might be some restrictions about which WICs the NM-1E1R-2W supports.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Yes, upon second look it is a NM-1E1R-2W, but there are no cards installed in the WIC slots. That being the case, is there a way for the router to be bad and it be able to boot fine and only error when a card is installed? That is my only worry at this point. These routers are cheap enough on ebay to start over instead of having end up replacing everything(card and router), which will obviosly end up costing more.

Sorry, my experience doesn't extend far enough to be able to answer that. But I would guess that it is possible, if the NM interface is broken. Anyone else know for sure?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

I just read a posting that says that the NM-1E1R-2W is not supported on the 2600 series. See http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1dd64b08/2#selected_message

Sorry to bring bad news. Or is it good news?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Indeed, that is good news, although it doesn't make me feel as competant as I would like. Question...what is the cheapest way to be able to get Cisco Support, or rather be able to login and see the documents/data that requires a login? This is not something that comes to those who buy hardware on ebay. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, because if it weren't for ebay, I wouldn't be using Cisco and talking to you!

I can't really advise you on that - I'm not Cisco myself, I just like to answer questions on the forum to sharpen my skills.

But one thing that really does impress me about Cisco is the amount of goodstuff that is available even with a guest login. Try this: go to http://www.cisco.com/tac, and log in as a guest. Click "Product Support", then "Routers", then 2600, and see how much stuff you can find out about your new router. The "Technology Support" branch is just as rich.

Good luck with your lab.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: