cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/network-confg (Timed out)

CSCO10485088
Level 1
Level 1

I just finished configuring a 3640 Router connected to our LAN via a T1 line but I'm getting the following error & the startup configuration get reseted.

Router-NY#

%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/cisconet.cfg (Timed out)

%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/router-ny-confg (Timed out)

%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/router-n.cfg (Timed out)

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Carlos,

are you trying to get your config from a remote tftp server at startup ? You probably have done this already, but you might want to check your config for a command like boot network tftp or boot system tftp, if those commands are in there remove them from your config.

If you follow the link below there is a document which explains some common TFTP errors, might be useful:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_note09186a00800a775f.shtml

Regards,

Georg

View solution in original post

nathan.dixon
Level 1
Level 1

If you are loosing the config everytime you startup you might want to check the config register. Do a "sh version" and the bottom line should say Config register value. You need it to say 0x2102 so that the startup config is loaded at startup. To change this go into config mode and type "config-register 0x2102" and quit. Sh version again will say current value and what it will be at next boot up. Also, after you have done a "copy run start" (to save your config) try a "show start" to see if your config has ended up in the NVRAM. It should do!

If this was the case, someone may have 'broken into' the router via the console port at some point to bypass the login passwords.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Hello,

you might want to check if the command ´service config´ is configured on your router. By configuring ´no service config´ you can stop the broadcasts.

Regards,

Georg Pauwen

Georg,

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately I'm still getting the broadcasts. Should I try something else?

Sincerely,

Carlos

Carlos,

are you trying to get your config from a remote tftp server at startup ? You probably have done this already, but you might want to check your config for a command like boot network tftp or boot system tftp, if those commands are in there remove them from your config.

If you follow the link below there is a document which explains some common TFTP errors, might be useful:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_note09186a00800a775f.shtml

Regards,

Georg

Try "boot system flash "

If you don't know / can't remember the filename, do a "show flash" (dir might work too...can't remember)

Scott

nathan.dixon
Level 1
Level 1

If you are loosing the config everytime you startup you might want to check the config register. Do a "sh version" and the bottom line should say Config register value. You need it to say 0x2102 so that the startup config is loaded at startup. To change this go into config mode and type "config-register 0x2102" and quit. Sh version again will say current value and what it will be at next boot up. Also, after you have done a "copy run start" (to save your config) try a "show start" to see if your config has ended up in the NVRAM. It should do!

If this was the case, someone may have 'broken into' the router via the console port at some point to bypass the login passwords.

Hope this helps.

SanZ
Level 1
Level 1

It shows this is resolved but I still wanted to post my resolution. I had this issue when I was running gns3 on VM. I was trying to connect to physical router via cloud on GNS3.  I found the resolution on https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/10000-series-routers/49683-serviceconfig-error-msgs.html which worked but it deleted everything from config (it was vm). So I added Switch in the middle and ran same router and the error went away. Posting it here because I had very hard time making this error go away. 

Here in lies the rub, I did in fact got to the configuration and enter no service config, exited to write memory and when I restarted the router I'm unable to get past this error. Is there a way to stop it so  I can get to the configuration  and  fix this issue?

The Gods you Worship are Steele.
And at the alter of Rock 'N Roll you kneel.

Hello,

odd indeed. When you do a 'sh run all' is the 'no service config' actually showing ? Did you do a 'copy running-config startup-config' ?

I must say I'm truly stumped, just did a reset again bingo working again? Cisco's own version of Harry Potter your a magician.

Thanks

Jamie

Hello,

I am not really clear on what you did (and what you did different from what you did before), but I guess if it works, it works...

Just form the record. I was unable to connect to the tftp after a reload of the router. i just let it sit replicating that same error and over. I waited 5 hours and it was just fine. I did however have to write clear it one more time, now everything is back to normal.

TIA

Jamie

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco