Views
Helpful
Replies

ETHERCHANNEL FAILOVER

m_amoussou
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the scenario

Two Radio links between two sites - one Triango   microwave and the other Ubiquity PowerBridge M5 radio..  

The Microwave needs to be used as a Primary link

The PowerBridge needs to be used as backup link. 

They both connect using cat5 to 2960 switches on either side. 

I  need to configure the Cisco switches at either end for  the radio link  to auto failover onto the PowerBridge should the  microwave link  go down.  And for the Microwave to regain primary status when it comes back online.

I need the switches to recognise when the radio has gone down and auto fail onto the Powerbrige rf link.

Can this be done with the 2960 Cisco switches and how?

Thanks Guys.

Amoussou martial.

2 Replies 2

Hi,

You can try :

- spanning tree - running on those links , set the backup link's cost higher then the primary one ( depending on where is the root bridge)

- flex links - on the primary interface set : backup interface - this will work only if either of the links will go down when the radio link will go down.

Dan

Ryan Wolfe
Level 5
Level 5

Those methods would work IF when the radio link goes down the interface on the 2960 goes down as well. This is unlikely since the link going to the radio will still be active, but the wireless link from the local radio to distant radio will be down.

So spanning tree and flex links wouldn't know when the link went down because the interface is still up unless the radio itself goes down. Also, if both of these radio links are etherchannelled together, then spanning tree will treat them as one link and it wouldn't work because of that, as well.

I don't know if 2960s support IP SLA, but that's what I would use. You could setup up a track object to track reachability of an IP on the distant side sourced from that interface. In the event that it does, you could shut down the interface. Bringing it back up would be more difficult unless the local end of the radio link has an IP (like a gateway IP) you could track as its interface goes up/down.

If you were using a L3 switch or a router you could just put a routing protocol going and it would handle everything for you because even if the interface is up, the hello messages from the distant end won't be getting through. So, if you happen to have any of those available, that would be the better route to take.

Just some brainstorms since I am not

100% certain with these radios. I've only used some others, but for a L2 solution the local radio's "interface" having an IP you could track would be great. Otherwise, your hands are a little more tied.

Good luck,

Ryan

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App