cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel loadbalancing

cbluhme
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3550-EMI with a gigabit etherchannel to a backupserver. The server and the router are the only two devices on that subnet. As I understand the documentation I can choose to loadbalance based on source-mac-address og destination-mac-address. With theese two choices and only two mac-addresses will there ever be any loadbalancing? If not.... Anything there can be done ? The server can loadbalance the etherchannel based on information in the ip-header. Is anything like that possible ?

1 Reply 1

efrahim
Level 4
Level 4

Use the src-mac, enabled ip

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c3550/1219ea1/3550scg/swethchl.htm#xtocid15

src-mac—.

When src-mac is used, load distribution based on the source and destination IP address is also enabled. For all IP traffic being routed, the switch chooses a port for transmission based on the source and destination IP address. Packets between two IP hosts always use the same port for packet transmission, but packets between any other pair of hosts might use a different transmission port.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: