Views
Helpful
Replies

Existing network Analysis

Adeel Hasany
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

its a pretty open ended question. I need to analyse the existing infrastructure from a Network perspective wondering what would be best approach to gather such information. its a pretty massive / convoluted network with very less or dated documentation. how would you approach if you were to walk into such a situation like this. 

Ta

Ad

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sherryvar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Adeel,

Assuming access is available to all the network components in the infra and none are configured for snmp polling or already part of an network map/inventory app, i would typically do as below,

1) Build a network diagram from the Core level and build on out ward [using "sh ip int bri", "sh cdp nei", "sh ip arp", "sh mac addr" etc] and keep building till the diagram has only peripherals/ISP devices at the edge interfaces.

2) Add on values [Int details, speeds, avg Bandwidth etc] on the links in above said diagram.

-If the infrastructure is too big, you may want to do it in segments [Branch, Campus1, Campus2, etc]

Hope this helps.

Regards,

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

sherryvar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Adeel,

Assuming access is available to all the network components in the infra and none are configured for snmp polling or already part of an network map/inventory app, i would typically do as below,

1) Build a network diagram from the Core level and build on out ward [using "sh ip int bri", "sh cdp nei", "sh ip arp", "sh mac addr" etc] and keep building till the diagram has only peripherals/ISP devices at the edge interfaces.

2) Add on values [Int details, speeds, avg Bandwidth etc] on the links in above said diagram.

-If the infrastructure is too big, you may want to do it in segments [Branch, Campus1, Campus2, etc]

Hope this helps.

Regards,