cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover

cro9uk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, I have a question that I’m sure will be an easy one. I have 2 routers connected via a Wireless link using media converters. This is set up as:

Router A>media converter>Fibre to the access point>wireless>Fibre from the access point>media converter>Router B.

This works fine but my problem is this:

If the wireless fails the router doesn’t failover to the back up link as it thinks the primary is still up because it still sees keepalives from the media converter. However, if I physically unplug the cat 5 cable it will failover. To get it to failover I have simply created static routes with an AD of 250.

Is there a simple hello command I can put in to Router B (at a remote site) so that if the wireless fails then because the router doesn’t get any hello’s from router A it will automatically fail over?

2 Replies 2

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

you got to have 2 options over here..

one is to have simple GRE tunnel over the wireless link and have the keepalive enabled on them.

That will do the trick in bringing the main connectivity down.

But again you have to have the static routes modified accordingly to have the flow without any abruption.

second option would something inline with configuring object tracking which is advanced technique being overlooked for these kinda requirements..

pls do go thru this link for more on object tracking ..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008042fbeb.html

regds

Thanks for this. Object tracking seems to be what i am looking for. I'll feedback when complete.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: